This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
|Creamy cucumber and grilled potato salad|
Grilled Potato Salad, Cucumbers & a Fresh Herb Dressing
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- Sea Salt
- ⅓ cup creme fraiche or mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup canola oil plus more for brushing the potatoes
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ - 2 teaspoons fresh oregano chopped
- ½ cup parsley chopped, plus 1 teaspoon minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon fresh Basil finely chopped
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 English cucumber thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add water enough to cover by about an inch. Heat over medium-high until boiling. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer the potatoes over medium low heat until tender, about 15-20 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes). Drain and allow the potatoes to cool completely. Slice each potato in half, then in half again to get 4 thick slices from each potato. If using small potatoes, slice in half. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the creme fraiche, vinegar, sugar, mustard, celery seeds and garlic. Gradually whisk in the ¼ cup of oil until blended. Stir in the red pepper, oregano, basil and 1 teaspoon minced parsley. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Set aside while grilling the potatoes.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan. Generously brush the potato slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the potatoes over medium high heat turning once after they are lightly charred and hot. Remove from the heat and allow the grilled potatoes to cool slightly.
- Toss the potatoes in half the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Layer the potatoes, cucumber slices, red onion and the ½ cup parsley on a serving platter. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the potatoes or pass when serving.
- Notes: It may seem like a lot of salt but be sure to use at least a little at each step indicated. The dish is much better salted. The salad was wonderful left over but the dressing becomes thick so the presentation is not as pretty as it is served at room temperature. The flavors are great the next day - enjoy!
Several people asked if I danced with my daughter at her wedding. Indeed we did dance to Judy Garland’s version of Over the Rainbow. I’m glad we danced and other mother-daughters joined in halfway through the song. It was so much fun! I hope to share more photos of the event soon.
I think we’ve almost recovered from the wedding extravaganza and seem to be getting back to normal. Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks so much for stopping by!
Leave a Comment