This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This represents the last of our cucumbers but the tomatoes are enjoying a second spurt of productivity. This year’s growing season has been good but the heat is settling in now so I can’t speak for tomato futures. Fingers crossed! So … guess who has never posted a simple Heirloom Tomato Salad with Cucumbers & Onion (served with a bonus)? Better late than never!
I used most of the remaining heirlooms and threw in a few cherry, one Roma and some grape tomatoes too. The fresh oregano, basil and cucumbers are also from our garden.
Dressed in a simple vinaigrette and fresh herbs, this lovely salad is a winner all the way around.
I like to throw in a few drained and rinsed white beans for a complete light dinner or lunch. Served fresh, this is summer at it’s best.
Don’t forget to PIN to your favorite salad board!
- 4 medium cucumbers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons good quality red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds heriloom tomatoes, quartered and cut in half
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- Place the sliced cucumbers in a large colander and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat and leave to drain.
- Combine the basil, thyme, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Whisk and set aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, onions and drained cucumbers. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables and set aside at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Add white beans if desired and toss gently before serving.
Easy and delicious! I used some of the leftovers for a green lettuce salad and it was wonderful. I love the heirlooms in this dish because they don’t break down quickly like some softer varieties. Goodbye cucumbers, we will miss you until next year 🙁
Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Thanks so much for stopping by.