This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Ice cream maker
- ¾ cups whole Milk
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 whole vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 whole egg yolks
- Warm the milk, sugar, salt and ½ cup of cream in a medium saucepan until hot. Do not boil.
- Using a sharp knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add them to the hot milk mixture, along with the vanilla pod.
- Remove milk mixture from heat, cover, and let it steep for 30 minutes.
- Warm the vanilla milk mixture again until hot, but not boiling.
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl and add 1/8 cup of the warm milk mixture.
- Whisk until combined and then add the yolk mixture into milk mixture.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Remove vanilla pod and stir remaining 1 cup of cream into the custard to cool it.
- Chill thoroughly in the fridge, at least 3-5 hours, overnight is even better.
- Churn the ice cream in the ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Store the ice cream in a freezer safe container and freeze until ready to serve.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a wonderful weekend and check back Monday for another great pie.