This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- A few specks/granules of sea salt
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the sugar and whisk until dissolved. Once the milk is hot and steaming, add the chocolate and salt and turn the heat down to medium low. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- The hot chocolate is now ready to serve. If you prefer a thicker consistency (like me), keeping whisking and cook at a low boil for 3-5 minutes until it becomes thick and creamy. Don’t walk away, stay with it and lightly whisk to prevent scorching.
- Serve warm with homemade marshmallows if desired.
- Makes 6 small servings in demitasse or coffee cups.
- Add ins: You can also serve this with a small jigger of Peppermint Kahlua or Creme de Mente. Your guests add it to the chocolate as desired.
- (Adapted from a recipe by David Lebovitz)