This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Like most people I often find myself looking forward to the weekend. There’s nothing like free time to do what we need to do, as well as what we want to do. Sometimes we end up doing more of what we “need” instead of “want” – but it all balances out … eventually 🙂 One of the things I “want” to do more often is enjoy a healthy, hearty and delicious breakfast to get us started without spending the entire morning in the kitchen. This breakfast of Huevos Avocado with Pico de Gallo is all that and easy to make too!
With minimal prep time, pico de gallo is as a wonderful double duty breakfast component. The leftovers are great as a topping for grilled fish or chicken, and a tasty snack with chips. Add sliced avocado, a little grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream, and you have a fantastic breakfast sandwich with a southwestern flair in less time than it takes to make biscuits and gravy! Black beans and pico de gallo for breakfast or brunch? Absolutely! Beans and eggs are not as heavy as sausage or bacon, but completely satisfying with plenty of “stick-with-it-ness.” The creaminess of avocado and sour cream are wonderful on toasted english muffins. Oh and eggs – did I mention the wonderful soft poached eggs with grated cheese?
Maybe a dash of hot sauce? Yes I think so!
Don’t forget your PIN!
Huevos Avocado with Pico de Gallo
- 2 toasted english muffins (4 slices)
- 4 soft poached eggs *
- 1/2 avocado sliced and sprinkled with fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded mixed cheese, I used smoke apple Gouda and sharp cheddar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo (see recipe below)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Hot sauce if desired
- Toast the english muffins then top with sour cream, sliced avocado, pico de gallo, cheese and poached eggs. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with hot sauce and more shredded cheese if desired. Serve with a small cup of black beans.
- * To poach the eggs, fill a medium saucepan with a few inches of water. Add a splash of vinegar and heat until the water is just about to boil. Swirl the water with a large spoon and gently add one of the eggs to the center of the swirl. Cook (do not boil) until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny, about 3-4 minutes. Remove the egg from the water using a slotted spoon to drain. Repeat with remaining eggs and serve immediately.
Pico de Gallo
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup loose cilantro leaves
- 1 small jalapeño, minced (seeds and white membrane removed)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt to taste
- Rough chop the cilantro leaves and combine with all other ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Now I’m looking forward to the weekend again! Hope you are too. Thanks so much for stopping by!