This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lentil and Black Bean Chili
- 1 ½ cups dry lentils, picked over for debris and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 29 oz canned diced tomatoes, fire-roasted with chiles, undrained
- 31 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place rinsed lentils in a large sauce pan and cover with water by several inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, pepper and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt. Add to skillet and stir well to combine. Cook, stirring often for 1 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, and beans to skillet. Stir well to combine. Cover skillet and simmer so flavors can blend, about 10 minutes. Fold in lentils and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
- Adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe