This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting the pan
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly plus 1 extra tablespoon for buttering the pan
- Confectioners' Sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter and flour the madeleine pan and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until a pale ribbon forms. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and salt. Add the flour and mix just until blended. Gradually drizzle the cooled melted butter in a steady stream just until blended.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter into each form in the pan. Bake until puffed and browned - about 8-9 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and repeat the process, buttering and flouring the pan.
- Sift confectioners' sugar on top of cooled Madeleines and serve. Makes 24 cookies