This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mango-Ginger Breakfast Bowl ~ A healthy, satisfying breakfast of plain Greek yogurt, fresh diced mango, homemade candied ginger, coconut and a sprinkle of granola – a great way to start the day!
Who could say no to a breakfast like this? Ripe, sweet mango, Greek yogurt, a little granola for the crunch factor and a mixture of shredded coconut and candied ginger. I love the new smoothie bowl movement so this is a play on that wonderful idea. The unusual, but delicious, addition to this breakfast is the candied ginger. If you haven’t tried candied ginger, you should pick up a few pieces from the bulk bins … or make your own! I’ve included a super easy recipe for the ginger so if you’re looking for that little something sweet with tons of health benefits (from the ginger) I hope you’ll give it a try and then you can make your own Mango-Ginger Breakfast Bowl.
Ginger’s health benefits are well known and include calming digestive issues, help with nausea (even morning sickness), lowering blood sugar, anti-inflammatory properties, and as an excellent source of anti-oxidants. Who knew a root could be such a wonderful natural remedy!
Ginger, in the root form, is very inexpensive. Once candied it will keep for a few weeks in a glass jar in a cool, dark location. What can you do with candied ginger? So glad you asked! It’s wonderful as an after dinner sweet – to aid with digestion of course. It’s also great chopped up and added to rice, muffins, cookies, cake or your morning yogurt.
Candied ginger is made by boiling fresh peeled ginger in a simple syrup until tender. Don’t throw out the syrup! You can use it as a topping for pancakes or waffles or stirred into your hot afternoon tea. We experimented by adding it to sparkling water as a homemade “ginger-ale” but that recipe needs a little work 🙂 This is a waste-free recipe!
Pin it for breakfast!
Mango-Ginger Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1 cup chopped fresh mago
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
- Layer in parfait classes or combine all ingredients in a bowl. Serve and enjoy!
- 1 cup peeled and sliced ginger
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar plus 3 tablespoons to coat
- Peel the ginger using an upside down spoon or a knife. Slice using a mandoline to 1/4-inch thick. I tried slicing into small circles but found it more labor intensive when coating in sugar. Slice on the long side into strips.
- Bring the water and 2 cups of sugar to a boil in a deep, heavy bottom saucepan. Stir until the sugar is dissolved then add the ginger. Stir occasionally and boil for 30-45 minutes, or until the ginger is tender but not mushy.
- Remove from the heat and drain the ginger, reserving the syrup.
- Separate and dry the pieces on a wire rack set over a piece of foil (for easy cleanup) until no longer wet but still tacky.
- Toss the candied ginger in a bowl with the 3 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. Feel free to refrigerate for a longer shelf life.
Is it Friday yet? We’re having record high temperatures here in Virginia, our weeping willow is blooming and the cherry blossoms are not far behind. Come on spring! Thanks so much for stopping by – hope you have a terrific weekend.