This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Pineapple pie was posted by Natalie on Tasty Kitchen and the name of the drew me in. “Grandma Inez’s Pineapple Pie.” Grandma’s make the best pies. This pie was good, just not as good as some of the others we’ve had. The meringue tastes better than most but fell short in the pretty department. No matter, it has a great personality! I really like pineapple so I thought this would be good and different. All the recent yellow pies have been tart, this one is sweet. At the end of the year when all 52 pies are done, I don’t think this will remembered as the crowd favorite. It did get great reviews on Tasty Kitchen and was rated 4.67 out of 5 with 15 people posting comments. So don’t take my word for it, bake an easy pineapple pie and try it for your self.
The ingredients are simple: sugar, butter, egg yolks, cornstarch, vanilla, water, crushed pineapple and a whole pre-baked pie crust. For the meringue you will need egg whites, salt, Cream of Tartar, sugar and vanilla.
This pie might have scored higher with just whipped cream.
Bake at 400 degrees for a few minutes until light brown on top.
No. 14–Pineapple Pie
- FOR THE PIE FILLING:
- ¾ cups Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 whole Eggs separated
- ⅓ cups Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ½ cups Plus 2 Tablespoons Of Water
- 8 ounces weight Canned Crushed Pineapple
- 1 whole 9-inch Pre-baked Pie Crust
- FOR THE MERINGUE:
- 2 whole Egg Whites from Separated Eggs Above
- ⅛ teaspoons Salt
- ¼ teaspoons Cream Of Tartar
- 6 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- For the pie, cream sugar, butter, and egg yolks in a saucepan. Add cornstarch and vanilla. Add water and crushed pineapple. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Pour into a 9″ baked pastry.
- For the meringue, whip egg whites until they begin to get foamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to whip until the meringue has reached soft peak stage and is smooth and glossy.
- Place the meringue over the cooled pie. Brown at 400ºF for just a few minutes. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for stopping by!