This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Don’t forget your PIN!
Onion Rings with Spicy Dipping Sauce
For the onion rings:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup beer (I use Stella Artois)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 small to medium sweet onions, peeled and cut into ⅓ inch thick rings
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- Peanut oil for cooking the onion rings
For the spicy dipping sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
To prepare the onion rings:
- Mix 1 cup of flour, black pepper, Cayenne, and salt together in a medium sized bowl. Stir in the beer and Sriracha sauce and blend until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the mixture to rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- In a large, high sided skillet or saucepan, heat 2 inches of peanut oil until hot – about 350°F – 370°F.
- Add the remaining flour to a large zip lock bag, bowl or plate and toss the sliced onions rings in the flour. Dip the onion rings in the batter and fry in small batches taking care not to crowd the pan. Cook until they browned on both sides and remove to a rack lined with paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with a little salt and serve immediately.
To prepare the sauce:
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate several hours, or overnight for all the flavors to blend. Serve with rings, burgers, or chicken. Adjust Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce according to taste.
- Onion rings adapted from The Hooters Cookbook
- Sauce recipe was slightly adapted from Allrecipes