A ray of sunshine on a plate – moist and tender Orange Marmalade Cake!
While the cake is still warm, carefully remove the sides of the pan and invert onto a serving plate. Drizzle the cake with the remaining orange marmalade mixed with a little water.
If you’re looking for a little sunshine in your life – this may do the trick. This cake is not as sweet as you might think. The orange rind helps balance the flavors so don’t skimp on the sugar thinking it may be over the top.
Don’t forget your PIN!
- 4 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 small-medium oranges, washed and thinly sliced
- Juice and zest of 2 small-medium oranges
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 heaping tablespoons orange marmalade, (divided and fine cut)
- 1⅓ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup almond meal/flour, or ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9" springform pan with butter. Sprinkle the bottom with 4 tablespoons turbinado sugar. Layer the sliced oranges around the bottom of the pan, slightly overlapping to cover. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add 3 heaping tablespoons of the orange marmalade and beat to combine. Mix in the beaten eggs until fully incorporated. Using a spatula, fold in the flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt, orange juice and zest. Blend just until smooth. Don't over beat.
- Gently spoon the batter over the sliced oranges and smooth to level. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cake is set.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about 5 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan and invert the cake onto a serving dish. Carefully remove the bottom of the pan.
- Place the remaining 3 tablespoons marmalade in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons water and heat on high for about 30 seconds. Stir and heat again until the marmalade has thinned.
- Spread the warm glaze over the top of the cake. Serve warm or at room temperature with plain Greek yogurt, ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Click on the photo below for more information about our favorite mandoline slicer!