This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mississippi Mud Pie – a deliciously light pie with a nice chocolate flavor, crunchy top and soft cake-light middle wrapped up in an easy chocolate crust.
Don’t forget to PIN to your favorite Pie Board!
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa not Dutch process cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Cooking spray
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- To prepare the crust, add 1 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa and 1/4 teaspoon salt and place in a food processor. Pulse 2 times or until blended. Add shortening and chilled butter. Pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly pour ice water through chute, processing just until blended (do not allow dough to form a ball). Remove from bowl. Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Lightly sprinkle dough with flour; roll to a 10-inch circle. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Fold edges under, and flute.
- To prepare the filling, place 3-tablespoons butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until butter and chocolate melt, stirring well to combine. Place vanilla and egg whites in a large mixing bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar; beat until soft peaks form (about 2 minutes). Gently fold melted chocolate mixture into egg white mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix 3/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa, baking powder and salt. Mix well with whisk. Fold flour mixture into egg white mixture. Pour into prepare crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. (I thought this pie was even better the next day).
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine