This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mississippi Mud Pie – a deliciously light pie with a nice chocolate flavor, crunchy top and soft cake-light middle wrapped up in an easy chocolate crust.
Don’t forget to PIN to your favorite Pie Board!
Pie No. 15 - Mississippi Mud Pie
For the Crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, not Dutch process cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup ice water
- Cooking spray
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Dutch process cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
To prepare the crust
- Add 1 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa and ¼ teaspoon salt and place in a food processor. Pulse 2 times or until blended. Add shortening and chilled butter. Pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly pour ice water through chute, processing just until blended (do not allow dough to form a ball). Remove from bowl. Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Lightly sprinkle dough with flour; roll to a 10-inch circle. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Fold edges under, and flute.
To prepare the filling
- Place 3-tablespoons butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until butter and chocolate melt, stirring well to combine. Place vanilla and egg whites in a large mixing bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar; beat until soft peaks form (about 2 minutes). Gently fold melted chocolate mixture into egg white mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix ¾ cup flour, ⅓ cup Dutch process cocoa, baking powder and salt. Mix well with whisk. Fold flour mixture into egg white mixture. Pour into prepare crust. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. (I thought this pie was even better the next day).
- Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine