This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
We recently shared a recipe for Pecan Sandies and were so thrilled with the texture and taste, we had to make them again using pistachios and just a few small tweaks. I couldn’t resist making another version especially after I found a bag of pistachios hiding in the pantry. As you know, nuts don’t last forever so of course it was the right thing to do. I couldn’t wait to see how the little green pistachios looked against the tender buttery cookie dough with the sugary crust. These Pistachio Shortbread Cookies were a big hit and barely lasted 24 hours. Twenty-four cookies in 24 hours … you can do the math! Just kidding! We shared some … a few … maybe three 🙂
This dough is practically perfect in every way. It’s not at all greasy, crumbly or sticky. It rolls up beautifully and after a few hours in the refrigerator, all you have to do is slice and bake. Look at all those vanilla beans! The Pecan Sandies were brushed with a beaten egg yolk and rolled in Turbinado Sugar. These cookies were brushed with a lightly beaten egg white and rolled in coarse white sugar for a lighter look. Both processes work great for these cookies.
I would love to experiment with the dough as a crust in a small tart. If the nuts are finely ground, this would be pretty easy to press into a pan.
It was hard but I resisted the urge to add chopped dried cherries or white chocolate chips. The simple buttery cookies with vanilla beans and toasted nuts have more than enough flavor for me.
Please don’t forget to Pin to your favorite cookie board!
Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted pistachios shelled
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ vanilla bean seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons light colored coarse sugar I used organic white coarse can sugar - regular granulated sugar would work great too
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla bean seeds, salt and vanilla to the butter and blend on medium low until combined.
- Add the flour a little at a time and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the pistachios using a rubber spatula.
- Place the dough on a large piece of parchment paper lightly dusted with flour. Form the dough into a log 12-inches long and about 1½ inches thick. Wrap the dough tightly in the parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator to rest while preparing the egg wash.
- Gently beat one egg white with ½ teaspoon water.
- Lightly brush the entire log with the egg white then roll in the coarse sugar to coat.
- Slice into ½-inch thick rounds and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom and set.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Are you a shortbread fan? I am a short-shortbread fan but I know tall people that like them too. Hope you have a terrific weekend! We have a little snow in the forecast if you can believe it. As long as I don’t have to shovel any more snow I’m fine with it. It won’t be long until we are talking about how hot it is outside! Thanks so much for stopping by – and don’t forget to make these cookies soon 🙂
Leave a Comment