This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
for the pastry:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons ice water
for the filling:
- ½ cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds large plums, halved, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch wedges.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup good quality plum preserves (apricot or raspberry) strained if chunky or seedy
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar, for sprinkling on the crust
To prepare the crust:
- Pour flour, butter and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 5 seconds. Be careful not to over process. The butter should still be in chunks. Add the ice cold water and pulse 5 more seconds or until the dough comes together. Gather the dough into a disk. Place on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 16 (+-) circle. The dough should be about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl combine ¼ cup of the sugar with the ground almonds and 3 tablespoons of flour. Spread the almond mixture over the dough leaving a 2 inch border. Arrange the sliced plums on top and dot with 3 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle the fruit with the remaining ¼ cup sugar. Fold the edge of the dough up over the plums to create a border. Sprinkle the border with 1 tablespoon coarse sugar.
- Bake the galette on the middle rack for about 1 hour, or until the fruit is very soft and the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush the hot fruit with the preserves. Allow the Galette to cool to room temperature and serve.