This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Potato Leek Soup and Homemade Croutons ~ A simple, creamy soup made with minimal ingredients for a perfect weeknight meal
You’re probably wondering why this Potato Leek Soup looks like peanut butter, or peanut soup. I used a rich vegetable stock that is very dark in color giving it the non-traditional hue. Potato leek soups are very easy to make combining potatoes, leeks, vegetable or chicken broth/stock, and milk or cream. Julia Child used water instead of broth so I say use what you have on hand. The soup is often creamy white or barely tinted green from the leeks. But hey, I like to be different sometimes and this richly flavored vegetable broth made the ordinary, exceptional.
The soup is very simple to make with minimal ingredients and only 30 minutes on the stove making it a good candidate for a weeknight meal.
The soup was topped with garlicky homemade croutons, the perfect garnish for this creamy soup. The recipe for these delicious croutons can be found HERE.
I love good soups especially this time of year. It’s cold and gray outside and this soup feels like a nice warm blanket.
Don’t forget your PIN!
Potato Leek Soup and Homemade Croutons
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Leeks white and light green parts only, washed and sliced
- 4 potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock or broth 32 ounces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh ground pepper
- sea salt
- Parsley and croutons for garnish
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes and leeks and stir frequently until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and the bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the milk and fresh thyme leaves. Continue cooking for another 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the bay leaf.
- Remove the pot from the heat and puree (make sure you removed the bay leaf) using a stick blender. Add the cream, salt and pepper and stir until combined.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and croutons if desired.
Julia Child's Leek & Potato Soup is made without broth or stock, just water. The color of the soup will be white instead of the darker stock based version posted here.
This soup is vegetarian friendly.
Take care when pureeing hot soups. If you don't have a stick/immersion blender, use a regular blender pureeing the soup in batches.
Inspired by several recipes from Julia Child, Robert Irvine and Belinda Williams
Don’t forget to try the Homemade Croutons – they are delicious and so easy to make! Do you make Leek & Potato Soup and if so do you use stock or broth? Chicken or vegetable? Did you know that Virginia is well known for peanut soup dating back to Colonial times? I should make one soon! It is very pea-nutty and also very easy to make. Thanks so much for stopping by! Hope you have a lovely week 🙂