This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Roasted Beet Hummus
- 3 large beets or 4 small, scrubbed, stems trimmed to 2 inch, tail left intact (rubbed with olive oil)
- 1 can 15 ounce chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Juice of a whole lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more if needed to reach desired consistency
- Chopped pistachios for garnish
- Crackers sliced vegetables, or pita wedges for serving
- Feta cheese for serving with the hummus if desired
- To prepare the hummus:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a double layer of aluminum foil. Place the cleaned and trimmed beets on the foil and drizzle with olive oil. Rub the oil over the entire beet and cover with a double layer of foil. Seal the beets in the foil pouch and bake for 60 minutes. Slice the foil package open and allow the beets to cool.
- When cool enough to handle remove the stems and root and peel the beets. Dice the beets in small pieces and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Add additional olive oil if needed to reach desired consistency. Serve garnished with chopped pistachios and Feta cheese.
- Store leftover hummus in the refrigerator.
- Recipe lightly adapted from The Year in Food