This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Simple Butter Caramels
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- dash sea salt plus a little extra to sprinkle on top if desired
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. Make sure the paper hangs over the side to help in removing the caramel from the pan.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cream, and corn syrup in a medium heavy bottom sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium - medium/high heat. Turn the heat down to medium, or just below, to maintain a boil. Don't cook it too fast or it can get away from you and you'll have burnt caramel. Stir frequently and continue cooking until it reaches 243°F on a candy thermometer. If you prefer a softer caramel, take off the heat at 240°F. Cook a bit longer to 250°F if you want a very chewy treat.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the caramel into the prepared pan and allow it to cool completely. Cut into bite size pieces and wrap in wax paper squares. I cut my wrappers in about 4x4 inch pieces. You can also purchase pre-cut candy wrappers at any craft store. Store in an airtight container.