This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Spicy Pomodoro Sauce with Kale & Penne Pasta ~ a flavorful and healthy meatless Monday meal that will leave you full and satisfied. With just a few healthy ingredients and about 45 minutes, you can enjoy this spicy and delicious dish, and feel good about eating it too! Made with our favorite gluten-free, organic, non-GMO, vegan Chickapea Pasta.
I know you must love a quick, inexpensive, healthy and delicious dinner as much as we do. Simple meals, and recipes, are often the best. No complicated processes or special equipment needed here, just plain old good, quick cooking. If kale is not your thing, try substituting Swiss Chard or add some fresh spinach in at the end.
Pomodoro is Italian for tomato, and Pomodoro sauce is typically a chunky tomato based sauce simply made by cooking down whole, peeled Plum tomatoes. I added in a few sautéed shallots, along with minced garlic, crushed red pepper and fresh herbs. The hardest part is waiting for the tomatoes to simmer into a nice thick sauce before adding the kale and cooked pasta.
Top with grated Parmesan, fresh ground black pepper, and basil leaves, then serve immediately. Done and done! Any kind of pasta will do, so just use your favorite. The leftovers keep well and are even very tasty served cold.
Spicy Pomodoro Sauce with Kale and Penne Pasta – quick, easy and delicious!
Don’t forget your PIN!
Spicy Pomodoro Sauce with Kale & Penne Pasta
- 1/2 cup extra-virgini olive oil
- 4 stems fresh Italian flat leaf parsley (optional)
- 4 stems fresh Basil, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled Plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (4-6 ounce) bunch of kale, stemmed and chopped
- 8 ounces Penne pasta, cooked al dente per package instructions
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the parsley, basil, and thyme. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the herbs are crisp. Remove and discard the herbs using a slotted spoon.
- Add the shallots to the olive oil and sauté for a few minutes until tender. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant but not browned. Add the crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook until the tomatoes break down and the sauce thickens, about 25 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside until needed.
- Add the kale to the Pomodoro sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the drained pasta and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls and garnish with fresh torn basil leaves and grated Parmesan.
Here are a few more Meatless Monday pasta dishes you might enjoy:
- Bucatini Puttanesca ~ Spicy One-Pot Pasta
- 20 Minute Lemon Broccoli Pasta Skillet ~ from The Food Charlatan
- Mushroom Florentine Pasta Recipe ~ from She Wears Many Hats
- Rich Lentil Bolognese ~ from The Endless Meal
Chickapea Pasta is new to the United States so if you can’t find it in your local grocery store, it’s available on Amazon:
SRFD has not compensated for this post, but did receive the penne as a gift from Chickapea Pasta for testing purposes. All opinions and text are my own.
Thanks so much for stopping by!