This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Extra 1 cup of granulated sugar for rolling
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, egg and vanilla. Gently mix until incorporated. In a separate medium size mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar until incorporated. Cover and chill the cookie dough for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1 cup of granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in the granulated sugar until covered. Place each dough ball on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. With the bottom of a glass, flatten the cookies slightly.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Mine we perfect at 14 minutes but start checking them at the 12 minute mark. For a crisper cookie, bake a minute or two longer. Cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
(adapted from a recipe on Joy of Baking)