This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Vegetable Nicoise Salad
For the vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the salad:
- 1 lb small red potatoes, halved
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
- ½ lb fresh green beans
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large shallot, sliced thin
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce, cleaned and torn into large pieces
- 6 hard boiled eggs, cooled and quartered
- 1 (15-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Cook the red potatoes in water until tender, about 15 minutes depending on size. Drain and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette. Toss and set aside.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in the same saucepan used to cook the red potatoes. Add the asparagus and cook for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove the asparagus with tongs and immediately dunk the spears in ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and place on a paper towel lined plate to dry.
- Bring the water to a boil again and add the green beans. Cook for 3-4 minutes until crisp-tender. Remove the green beans and dunk in ice water. Drain and add them to the paper towel lined plate to dry with the asparagus
- In a small bowl combine the drained and rinsed kidney beans and the sliced shallot. Add 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In another small bowl toss the artichoke hearts with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette. Toss the asparagus and green beans in 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Toss the lettuce leaves with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette and arrange them on a platter or individual serving dishes. Arrange the vegetables, kidney beans, eggs, artichoke hearts and olives over the lettuce. Serve with any left over vinaigrette and enjoy!
- (adapted from a recipe in the April / May 2012 Taste of Home Magazine)
Reminder: Google is retiring their Google Reader program effective July 1, 2013. Be sure to sign up for email notifications for my posts so you don’t miss a thing! We have a lot planned this summer and I don’t want to do it without you. I know I can’t say this enough, thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks for taking a few minutes out of your day to spend with me. My heart is filled with gratitude and I’m thrilled to call you my blog friends.
Thanks so much for stopping by!