This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
For the past two days we’ve been in the middle of Winter Storm Jonas. The blizzard buried us in a thick blanket of fluffy white sparkling snow with blistering winds and crazy cold temperatures. I believe we have about 20+ inches but it’s hard to tell with the giant snow drifts. Since it feels like we’re in the far reaches of the frozen north, Viennese Hot Chocolate spiked with Peppermint KAHLÚA was an absolute must … especially when there’s nowhere to go, and no way to get there.
Real-deal hot chocolate is made with milk, sugar and melted dark chocolate. This warm and delicious treat is also spiked with Peppermint KAHLÚA then topped with soft whipped cream and shaved chocolate. A satisfying dessert for the chocolate lover, and a special treat for those cold winter days! Got kids? Skip the Kahlua and enjoy straight hot chocolate – it’s all good!
I got a little carried away with the whipped cream, but there is plenty of warm chocolate underneath. Simple to make and “lick your lips” delicious, be sure to give it a try before spring arrives!
Viennese Hot Chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (good quality chocolate is best)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, extra fine sugar if you have it
- 2 tablespoons peppermint KAHLÚA, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- Shaved chocolate or a pinch of cocoa powder for garnish
- Warm milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the sugar and whisk until dissolved. Add half the chopped chocolate to the warm milk and whisk until melted. Add the remaining chocolate and again whisk occasionally until dissolved and well blended.
- Remove from the heat and add the Kahlua if desired.
- Pour the cream in a small cold mixing bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Beat on low until starting to thicken. Sift in the confectioners sugar and beat on high until soft peaks form.
- Divide the hot chocolate into three cups and top each with a heaping spoonful of the whipped cream. Garnish with sifted cocoa or shaved chocolate. Serve immediately.
This is our old girl, Mocha. She is actually our grand-dog but we received full custody when her mommy moved out and got married. She is the sweetest girl in the world, truly the perfect Parson Russell Terrier. She is our sweet Mo, a/k/a mochalicious, mocha-chino, mocha-roca and we love her! What’s not to love with that face 🙂
Thanks so much for stopping by! We hope you have a wonderful week 🙂
Leave a Comment