Easy peasy ~ Buffalo Chicken Roll Up Appetizers ~ made with all-natural frozen breaded chicken tenders tossed in hot sauce, then rolled up with a homemade blue cheese dip, diced celery, and crisp lettuce. Not a big fan of blue cheese? No worries – they’re great with ranch dressing and shredded cheddar too!
Whether you’re getting ready for the “big game” or a simple, light dinner, these Buffalo Chicken Roll Up Appetizers will sure to please! We’re big fans of spicy, rich flavors but not so much for the bar scene where you get those wonderful deep fried wings. This appetizer satisfies that craving and then some!
We’ve really gotten into wraps this past year, especially with our favorite Lavash sandwich roll-up flatbreads made with flax, oat bran and whole wheat flour. They’re lower in carbs than most breads so that’s a bonus! We’ve made Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups with baked chicken too – but really love the way the sauce clings to these breaded tenders.
I’m also the number one fan of make-ahead appetizers so I don’t have to spend game-time in the kitchen when everybody else is hooting and hollering in front of the tv. Chicken tenders are baked then tossed in hot sauce while still warm from the oven. Once cooled, they are tossed in the sauce again then rolled up in the flatbread. At this point you can refrigerate the appetizers until time to serve.
This is one of those recipe ideas that’s highly adaptable to your tastes. We love blue cheese (well … any cheese really) so I made a simple blue cheese dip for smearing on the flatbreads and used the extra as a dip for celery sticks. We’ve tested these with a good thick ranch dressing and shredded cheddar with great success. The key is to have your chicken well coated in the hot sauce so that’s where these breaded tenders come in handy. They soak up the hot sauce so the roll up is not dripping in dressings.
Be generous when spreading the blue cheese dip on the flatbread. It helps hold everything together and adds that amazing bite we all love in a good Buffalo Chicken appetizer.
Don’t forget your PIN!
Made with all-natural frozen breaded chicken tenders tossed in hot sauce, then rolled up with a homemade blue cheese dip, diced celery, and crisp lettuce.
- 4 ounces garden vegetable cream cheese room temperature
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 3 ounces blue cheese divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley plus extra for garnish if desiredFor the roll ups:
- 6 oz frozen breaded chicken breast strips (1/2 of a 25 package) *
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 Buffalo Wing Sauce **
- 3 sandwich roll-up flatbreads ***
- 2 stalks of celery diced, plus extra sticks for dipping
- 6 leaves large lettuce
- In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, sour cream, 2 ounces of the blue cheese (crumbled), pepper, salt and parsley. Stir to combine, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to bake the chicken tenders / strips / breasts.
- Bake the chicken strips according to the package directions. While hot place the chicken strips, two at a time, in a bowl and toss with the hot sauce. Repeat until all the chicken strips are coated. Place on the baking sheet in a single layer to cool. Once cooled, toss in the hot sauce again and set aside.
- To assemble the roll ups, spread each flatbread with a generous amount of the blue cheese dip. At one of the short ends of the flatbread, place two chicken strips, then next to the chicken, sprinkle with the diced celery, then add the lettuce. Add more crumbled blue cheese if desired. Roll up the flatbreads and cut into 6 to 8 pieces each.
- Secure the roll up with an appetizer pick.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed.
* for the chicken tenders we used - 100% all natural, no preservatives, no fillers, Perdue Brand frozen chicken breast strips
** for the hot sauce we love Frank's brand
*** for the flatbread - we used the Kontos brand
These are best served within an hour or two of assembly.
Substitue ranch dressing and shredded cheddar cheese if desired - or do half ranch and half blue cheese to make everyone happy!
Here are a few more appetizers you might like for the big game:
- Mini Cheese Quiche
- Spanakopita – Greek Spinach and Feta appetizers
- Baked Jalapeño Poppers ~ from The View from Great Island
- Slow Cooker Honey Buffalo Meatballs ~ from The Recipe Critic
Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend 🙂