This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
One of the best sandwiches you can make at home.
Cheese Steak Panini with plenty of soft sweet caramelized onions, loads of melty cheese and tender steak piled on toasted bread! Here’s your chance to turn leftovers into an amazing meal the whole family will love.
Cheese Steak Panini with Caramelized Onions
- 8 ounces cooked steak, chicken or deli meat, sliced thin
- 3 ounces Fontina cheese, sliced (more if desired)
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices good quality bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra to lightly oil the panini pan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the sliced onions and cook slowly until caramel colored. Salt to taste. Spoon caramelized onions into a small dish and set aside. Add the sliced steak to the skillet and saute to heat through.
- To assemble spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Divide the onions, meat and cheese between the two sandwiches. Top with remaining bread.
- Heat a panini press or pan on medium-low and lightly grease with olive oil. Cook panini until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Slice in half and serve immediately.
Updated November 2021