This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy and delicious Cheesy BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls
Bring on the party!
We’ve got the BEST recipe for amazing Cheesy BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls right here 🙂 Everybody loves pizza and what better way to make your besties happy than with this luscious party food!
Whether you’re having the girls over for a glass of wine, or the whole gang for the big game, you’ll thrill your guests with these tasty, hearty Pizza Rolls. Not a big fan of BBQ chicken pizza? No worries, change it up and use your favorite pizza toppings instead.
If you’re covered up with teenagers on the weekends, or prone to impromtu slumber parties, this is the recipe for you! Make several pans of pizza rolls, each with different fillings to fit all their cravings.
Grab a rotisserie chicken at the store or poach your own chicken breast for these pizza rolls.
I make poached chicken all the time during the winter months. It’s prefect for salads, sandwiches, soups, casseroles and so many other uses, and it’s great in these pizza rolls too. You only need one cup of finely chopped tender chicken for this recipe.
These are so much easier to make than you’d think and so good. Sink your teeth into the sweet BBQ sauce, tender bites of chicken and all that cheesy goodness! I love the minced red onion scattered throughout the layers and layers of sauciness.
And bacon! Don’t forget to add a little crumbled bacon for a really nice salty bite. I cannot wait to make these again!
Serve pizza rolls with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.
Use your favorite sweet BBQ sauce for a nice, lip smacking, moan worthy bite. During the summer months, when we grill nonstop, I love to make my own Easy Honey BBQ Sauce to have on hand.
However when the grill is covered in snow, I buy all-natural Bone Doctors Original BBQ Sauce. It’s perfect for these pizza rolls with a fresh sweet flavor and plenty of spice. Available on the East Coast in the US and also on Amazon. Check the link at the end of this post for more info.
Use fresh, frozen or refrigerated pizza dough for these pizza rolls – I love options!
Our local grocery store chain sells ready-to-go pizza dough in 2 pound bags; enough for two pans of these Cheesy BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls. To prep, set the fresh dough out for an hour or two so it can come to room temperature, then roll into a rectangle.
If using frozen pizza dough, be sure to allow time to thaw first. That’s pretty much all the prep you needed for the pizza dough. So easy! Homemade Pizza Dough is always great and easy to make. Just read the instructions on your bag, tube or package of dough and get ready to make these Cheesy BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls.
Can these BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls be made ahead?
Absolutely! Assemble the pizza rolls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Allow the rolls to come to room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! If you make our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. If you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one!
If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates.
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls
- 1 pound pizza dough fresh, frozen or refrigerated, thawed
- ½ cup BBQ sauce (sweet) plus extra for serving
- 1 ¼ cups part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
- 1 cup cooked chicken finely chopped (rotisserie, poached, etc)
- 3 tablespoons red onion finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 3 slices bacon cooked crisp, drained and finely chopped (optional)
- fresh parsley leaves chopped for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil for greasing the pan, plus more for oiling the bowl
- If frozen, follow instructions for thawing your pizza dough. If using refrigerated dough, place in a well oiled bowl, cover and allow to come to room temperature, 1 to 2 hours.
- Lightly oil a large 9 or 10-inch round skillet or baking pan. Cast iron skillets work well for pizza. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the room temperature pizza dough to an 18x10-inch rectangle. If the dough springs back and won’t hold it’s shape, let it rest an additional 5 minutes, then roll again. Spread the BBQ sauce over the surface of the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border all around the edges.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese evenly across the surface of the dough, then top with the chicken, onion, red pepper flakes and bacon, if using.
- Starting on the long side, roll the dough away from you into a tight cylinder, tucking and pulling just a bit as you go. Pinch the seams together to seal. Cut into 8 equal slices and place cut side down in the prepared pan. When cutting try using dental floss instead of a knife. It works amazingly well!
- Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 400°F oven. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top and continue baking for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately with additional BBQ sauce for dipping.
- Substitute pizza sauce for the BBQ and use your favorite traditional toppings instead.
- Since these bake quickly you’ll need to pre-cook or sauté hearty vegetables before adding to the rolls. Vegetables like peppers and mushrooms need to be cooked first too. Finely minced onion is fine added raw.
- Pre-cook all meats used in the rolls.