This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread – make any meal special!
We’ve got the BEST Cheesy Garlic Bread recipe that’s easy, quick and oh so delicious!
You may be thinking nobody really needs an actual recipe to make Cheesy Garlic Bread. Sure, you can spread butter on a loaf of bread, sprinkle garlic salt or powder over the butter and toast it. Easy, right? Yes it is easy but it may not wow your family like this Cheesy Garlic Bread will!
But, what if you want to make sure the bread is loaded with the perfect amount of garlic flavor? And, if you also want to add just the right amount of sweet, creamy butter without making the bread greasy? Finally, what about sending the flavor through the roof with two kinds of delicious cheese?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, then you’ll want to follow our easy recipe and taste the difference for yourself! This garlic bread is better than any you can get in a restaurant.
How to make Cheesy Garlic Bread:
Start with a loaf of soft French or Italian bread:
1. Split the loaf in half lengthwise using a serrated knife.
2. Combine minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and half the butter in a microwave safe dish.
3. Microwave for 1 minute, stirring halfway through. Cook another 15 to 30 seconds or until the butter is bubbling around the edges.
4. Add the remaining butter, garlic powder and salt to the melted butter mixture. Set aside to cool slightly, or until it reaches spreading consistency.
5. Spread the butter and garlic mixture over the cut sides of the bread.
Add cheese and toast in a hot oven
6. Next sprinkle fresh grated Parmesan cheese over both halves of the buttered bread.
7. Place the bread on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake until well browned around the edges, about 5 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and slice each loaf crosswise into two-inch thick pieces. Reassemble the loaf so the sides are touching.
Finish with plenty of melted cheese
9. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the toasted bread.
10. Broil until the mozzarella is melted, bubbly and well browned.
11. Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
Ingredients needed to make Cheesy Garlic Bread:
- garlic – you’ll need 4 medium to large cloves, minced
- crushed red pepper flakes – this is optional but adds a nice zing to the bread
- unsalted butter – room temperature (if using salted butter, use 1/2 the additional salt called for in this recipe)
- garlic powder – or granulated garlic. If using garlic salt, omit all the additional salt
- French or Italian bread – this recipe works best with a wide, soft loaf, not a hard bread like baguettes
- Parmesan cheese – fresh grated is best for melting and flavor
- mozzarella cheese – we use low-moisture pre-shredded cheese for best results
- parsley – fresh chopped parsley leaves for garnish
This cheesy pull-apart Garlic Bread is so delicious and terrific served with everything!
The balance of salty Parmesan and creamy mozzarella is practically perfection. Fresh minced cloves of garlic are enhanced with a little garlic powder for just the right balance of flavor. All these things make this a great recipe to serve with brothy soups like our Minestrone, Ravioli Lasagna Soup or a fresh green salad with Creamy Italian Dressing.
This recipe is consistently delicious each and every time I make it. It’s pretty fantastic and I can’t wait for you to give this a try. Bet you crave this garlic bread like we do!
Turn this simple side into a hearty appetizer with our easy pizza sauce.
Dip slices of this amazing Garlic Bread into a bowl of warm marinara or our easy pizza sauce for a fun and delicious hearty party appetizer. If you love thick deep-dish pizza, you’ll love this garlic bread.
Can you skip the cheese and make garlic bread instead?
Yes, absolutely! This recipe makes the best garlic bread – our family loves it!
How to make garlic bread:
Instead of slicing the French bread lengthwise, cut it crosswise into one or two-inch thick slices. Spread the butter and garlic mixture between each slice and reassemble into a loaf.
Wrap the bread tightly in foil to seal. Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes or until the loaf is soft and heated through. Serve and enjoy!
What can you serve with this bread?
We love this bread served with a tomato based dipping sauce like marinara or pizza sauce. It almost tastes like pizza, but with plenty of garlic flavor. We also serve Cheesy Garlic Bread with our Pasta e Fagioli Soup, Ricotta and Spinach Pasta Bake, this company-worthy Lasagna casserole and even these homemade Italian Meatballs with spaghetti.
Love grilled cheese and tomato soup? Try dipping this incredible bread in our homemade Tomato Soup. So much flavor, you’re going to love it!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! If you make our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. If you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one!
If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates.
Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf French Bread, soft, or soft Italian Bread
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 8 ounces low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small microwave safe bowl combine the minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and 4 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- Cover the bowl and microwave the garlic butter mixture for 1 minute, stirring halfway through. Cook another 15 to 30 seconds or until the butter is bubbling around the edges. Cool slightly.
- Add the remaining room temperature butter, garlic powder and salt to the melted butter garlic mixture. Stir to create a paste. If needed, allow the butter to sit at room temperature until it solidifies and reaches spreading consistency.
- While the butter is resting cut the bread in half lengthwise using a serrated knife. Place the bread cut-side-up on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread the garlic butter mixture evenly between the two pieces of bread. Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly on each half.
- Bake in the preheated oven until well browned around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and slice each loaf crosswise into two-inch thick pieces. Reassemble the loaf so the sides of each slice are touching. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the toasted bread.
- Move the oven rack up to the middle top position and turn the oven to broil. Return the pan to the oven and broil the bread until the mozzarella cheese is melted, bubbly and browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to rest a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley leaves, if using. Serve with pizza sauce or marinara for dipping, if desired.
Saving Room for Dessert is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. We earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which is used to pay for web hosting and services for this blog.