This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
With every bite of this Apple Salad you’ll experience a delightful explosion of flavors and textures. The sweetness of the apples complements the tart cherries perfectly, while the candied pecans provide a very satisfying crunch. The creamy feta dressing ties it all together with its unique tang, or feel free to drizzle the salad with your favorite vinaigrette.
Sweet, Tangy and Delicious Apple Salad Recipe
When preparing a fresh salad that’s both easy to make and company-worthy, the possibilities are truly endless. If you’re looking for a delicious and satisfying option that can be enjoyed year-round, this fresh Apple Salad with tart dried cherries, sweet candied pecans and creamy feta dressing is an excellent choice.
Apple Salad and Feta Dressing Ingredients
For the salad:
- mixed garden greens or your favorite salad lettuce
- dried cherries can be re-hydrated by soaking in warm water for 15 minutes then drained before adding to the salad. Substitute dried cranberries or raisins if desired.
- red onion, sliced thin
- a sweet apple such as Pink Lady, Fuji, Honeycrisp or Gala cored and sliced thin
- homemade or store-bought candied or spiced nuts such as pecans or walnuts
For the dressing:
- plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- fresh basil leaves
- red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- garlic clove
1. Prepare the dressing:
Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender or measuring cup. Blitz with an immersion blender (affiliate link) until smooth and creamy. Add additional olive oil if desired. Cover and store in the refrigerator until needed.
2. Assemble the salad:
Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl or divide between 4 salad plates. Drizzle or toss lightly with the dressing. Top with fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately passing any remaining dressing, pecans and cherries as desired.
Serve as a side salad or light main course
This salad is great served as a hearty and simple side dish for four. To enjoy as a main course meal divide the salad between two plates and add a protein of your choice like rotisserie chicken or cooked and cooled quinoa.
Optional Add-ins and Variations
- add a tablespoon or two of maple syrup to the dressing
- cooked, sliced chicken breast
- substitute raisins or dried cranberries for the cherries
- toasted pecans can be used in place of the candied nuts
- try mayonnaise in place of the plain Greek yogurt
The presentation of your salad can be just as important as its taste. Consider serving it in a beautiful wooden bowl or on individual salad plates and add a finishing touch with a sprinkle of fresh herbs or additional crumbles of feta cheese. Make it as visually appealing as it is delicious.
Apple Salad with Creamy Feta Dressing
For the salad:
- 4 cups mixed garden greens
- ¼ cup tart dried cherries
- ¼ red onion sliced thin
- 1 pink lady or honey crisp apple cored and sliced thin
- ¼ cup candied walnuts or pecans
For the dressing:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (110g)
- ½ cup feta cheese (80g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar more or less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender or cup and blend until smooth and creamy. Chill.
- Divide greens, cherries, apple and walnuts on 4 salad plates. Drizzle lightly with dressing. Serve.
The perfect fall salad recipe
Fresh Apple Salad with tart cherries, candied walnuts and creamy feta dressing is a versatile and mouthwatering choice for a healthy meal. Whether you’re enjoying it on a sunny summer day or a crisp autumn evening, this salad is a celebration of flavors and textures that will leave your taste buds singing. Try this recipe and discover the magic of fresh, seasonal ingredients in a single, satisfying bowl.
More great salads!
This Broccoli Salad is anything but ordinary. Our recipe showcases the versatility of broccoli and elevates it to new heights of deliciousness. With its vibrant colors, satisfying crunch, and creamy dressing, this salad will captivate your taste buds.View this Recipe
Originally published May 2012, updated October 2023.