This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Grilled Blackened Grouper Sandwich ~ fresh Grouper seasoned with your favorite blackened spices then grilled and served on a soft bun with a simple purple slaw and a slice of swiss cheese. An easy lunch or light dinner, ready in minutes!
We’re having a great time on vacation on Sanibel Island, Florida. One of the benefits of being near the Gulf of Mexico is the availability of fresh seafood. We found fresh Grouper at Bailey’s so these Grilled Blackened Grouper Sandwiches went on the menu!
We love the condo here at Point Santo de Sanibel owned by Pat & Lee Olson. The complex is situated on the beach with a small lake in the center complete with pool, club house, tennis courts and gas grills with Tiki huts! Pat & Lee have two condos, one on the top floor (4th) with a roof top observation deck and one on the ground level. In my opinion renting directly from the owners is the way to go. If their unit is not available for the time you requested, they will refer you to other owners to assist in your search.
Fresh grouper is easy to grill and only takes a few minutes to prepare.
We celebrated my birthday at my favorite local restaurant – Gramma Dot’s where I ordered a blackened Grouper sandwich. I loved it so much I wanted to recreate it here, with a few changes of course!
Grilled Blackened Grouper Sandwich
For the slaw:
- 2 cups thin sliced purple cabbage
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and Pepper to taste
For the fish:
- 2 large Grouper fillets
- 1 tablespoon blackened seasoning of your choice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Dry Seasoning, optional
- 4 soft sandwich rolls
- 4 thick slices of Swiss cheese
- Slice the cabbage and place in a medium bowl. Whisk together the vinegar and honey and pour over the cabbage. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Sprinkle the fish fillets with the blackened seasoning and Sriracha dry seasoning.
- Preheat grill to 350°F. Grill the fillets about 4 minutes or until charred and crispy. Carefully turn and cook another 4 minutes or so until done. Remove using a large spatula. Cut each fillet in half and set aside lightly covered with foil.
- To assemble the sandwiches cut each roll in half. Place a piece of cheese on the bun, then top with a generous scoop of slaw and half a fillet. Serve immediately.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
Don’t miss our post about this lovely vacation on Sanibel Island.
If you’re looking for more fish recipes, please check out this delicious Sriracha Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos and this flavorful Grilled Salmon & Orzo Corn Salad too! I can’t wait to try this simple Grilled Fish with Garlic, basil and Lemon from Kalyn’s Kitchen. Check out these beautiful Grilled Salmon Kebabs in an Orange and Herb Marinade from Foodness Gracious, they look fantastic!
If you’ve followed me for some time you probably know my husband is a great photographer. He’s taught me everything I know about shooting. I’ve become a better still-life (food) photographer but he still remains the action shooter and is so much better with people and anything that moves. Food usually stays where I put it – haha. We went out on the roof of our Sanibel condo to try and catch some long exposure lightning shots. He is always trying to teach me something new, and he is very patient. So this is my first lightning shot! A few minutes later I went in because it was getting a little close and I’m a big chicken. Maybe traveling husband will share some of his lightning shots with me to post 🙂
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Leave a Comment