This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad ~ an easy homemade Caesar dressing is drizzled over tender grilled chicken and hearts of romaine lettuce, then topped with shaved Parmesan, plenty of fresh ground black pepper and toasted walnuts. This main dish salad is sure to please your salad loving family!
I’m on a Caesar kick lately and just can’t get enough of the lemony bite found in the simple homemade dressing. The crispy lettuce and salty Parmesan are a match made in heaven, but I bet you already know that! However you may not know how simple fresh Caesar dressing is to make at home!
There’re a bunch of Caesar dressing recipes out there in the world, so it can be hard to decide where to start when making it at home. Personally I like a combination of both vegetable and olive oil along with a small amount of Dijon mustard. Fresh lemon juice, anchovies and a clove of garlic are essential for a good Caesar dressing which is sometimes made tableside at better restaurants. I guess that puts my kitchen in the same category as a “better restaurant” because I was right next to the table when I made this!
Don’t skip the raw egg yolk if you can help it. The yolk gives this dressing it’s crazy good richness and creamy texture. (See note below about consuming raw eggs) Traditional Caesar salad is typically served with croutons but I chose to add a few walnuts instead (pooh on carbs). Feel free to change it up as you like! Toss all the components together in one large salad bowl or serve on individual plates like I’ve done here. Anyway you like it, I’m sure it will be terrific!
Don’t forget to PIN to your favorite salad board!
NOTE: A raw egg yolk was used in this recipe. However, consuming raw eggs is not recommended for infants, elderly, pregnant women and those battling serious illness. If you have concerns, please use a pasteurized egg which has been gently heated to the precise temperature needed to kill most food-borne bacteria like Salmonella.
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
For the grilled chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
For the Caesar dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 (oil packed) anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 large egg yolk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- 3-4 hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in a shallow dish and add the olive oil and lemon juice. Set aside while preparing the dressing.
- Place all the ingredients for the Caesar dressing into a tall measuring cup or bowl. Using an immersion or stick blender, process until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate while grilling the chicken.
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill. Remove the chicken from the oil and lemon juice and shake off the extra marinade. Place the chicken breasts on the hot grill/griddle and season with salt and pepper. Grill until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pan and cut into strips for serving.
- Separate the clean lettuce leaves and plate them individually or cut into bite sized pieces and add to a large salad bowl. Add the chicken, shaved Parmesan, walnuts and plenty of fresh ground black pepper. Drizzle with the Caesar dressing and serve immediately.
Last weekend we went to Nashville to visit my husband’s sister-in-law, Rita. We drove and took our two dogs for a long weekend visit. We stopped at a rest area in southwestern Virginia and while walking the dogs, I found a colorful, painted rock in the grass. I picked it up and stuck it in my pocket then loaded the dogs back in the truck. When we arrived at Rita’s house in Nashville I gave her the rock for her beautiful garden. My husband noticed it had writing on the bottom, so he washed off the dirt and found: #kingsportrocks. Apparently kids, nursing home residents, and assorted other volunteers in communities around the country are painting rocks and placing them in various spots for people to find. Sort of like geocaching. How cool is that! Check them out on Twitter and Facebook. Now this beautiful rock has a nice new home in Rita’s garden.
Looking for more main course salad recipes?
- Grilled Chicken Taco Salad
- Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad with Creamy Cajun Dressing ~ from Cafe Delites
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Salad ~ from Jo Cooks
- Grilled Chicken Chopped Salad with Italian Dressing ~ from Cooking Classy
We love our Cuisinart immersion blender and the attachments (click on the photo for more information):
The small print: If you decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a lovely weekend.
Leave a Comment