This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
It’s January, snow is in the forecast for this weekend, and I’m in the mood for a giant pot of Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup! My mom always made soup while I was growing up. Mom kept a sealed container in the freezer and whenever she had a tiny bit of leftover vegetables or tomatoes, she would put it in the bucket and save it for the next time she made soup.
Many years ago when I went out on my own, this was a recipe I had to have. I’ve tweaked it a bit over the years and think this is the best yet! This recipe makes A LOT of soup. Many freezer containers were filled and the crusty bread sliced. Yum!
I cannot begin to count the times I’ve made this soup over the years. Each time it taste just a little different, but in a good way. The recipe is easily adaptable to whatever vegetables you have on hand. The broth is rich and tomatoey with plenty of herbs and flavor.
Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 small chuck roast cut in bite sized pieces, fat discarded
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 32 ounces beef broth low sodium
- 26 ounces beef stock low sodium
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Stewed Italian styled tomatoes
- 1 (14.5- ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil and garlic no salt
- 1 (19-ounce) can of Progresso Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 (28-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes with Italian Herbs
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 6 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen green beans
- 1 (14.5-ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1 (14.5-ounce) bag frozen peas
- Add water if needed up to 2 cups
- Sear the chopped chuck roast in olive oil until browned on all sides. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute. Add canned tomatoes, soup and broths.
- Season to taste with all seasonings listed.
- Cover and simmer while preparing the fresh vegetables. Slice and cut celery, carrots, potatoes, onion and zucchini and add to meat. Simmer about 1 hour.
- Stir in all frozen vegetables and simmer for 2 hours or until vegetables are cooked.
- Discard bay leaves and check the seasoning.
- Freezes very well.