This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Hearty and healthy and loaded with flavor
- 5 cups water
- 2 heaping tablespoons vegetable base (Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1/3 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 1/3 cup dry green lentils, rinsed
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups kale, stems removed, cut into bite size pieces
- In a large stock pot combine the water, vegetable base, carrots, onions, and lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes until the Kale is wilted and soft.
- Serve with a dash of hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!
(adapted from a recipe in the November 2011 Taste of Home Magazine)