Pear Crumb Pie – juicy pears topped with a sweet crumb mixture wrapped in a flaky crust – fall fruit at it’s best!
After a week that included an earthquake and a hurricane, I’m happy to report we’re still here and have no major problems. Do you think we should move further away from Washington, D.C.? It has been interesting but I’m glad to get back to normal and my normal weekend includes making a pie!
I’m getting into the mood for fall and found a bunch of wonderful ripe pears. I’ve always loved pears but had never made a pear pie. Fresh fruit and flaky crust were made for each other. This pie was sweet, juicy and yum! If you find yourself with extra pears this year, give this easy pie a try!
You’ll need pears, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, butter, ginger, cornstarch, flour and lemon juice.
Whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and nutmeg.
Peel and slice the pears (about 5 large) to make 6 cups.
Toss the pears in the brown sugar mixture and sprinkle with the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
Pour the pears into an unbaked 9-inch pie crust. Since this was a really juicy pie, I would blind bake this crust lined with foil for about 6 minutes before adding the fruit. It wasn’t soggy, but it wasn’t really crisp on the bottom either.
Spread the pear mixture evenly over the crust and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.
While the pie is baking prepare the crumb topping. Slice the butter into small chunks and blend them into the flour and brown sugar mixture.
Remove the pie from the oven. I wish you could smell this!
Spread the crumb top evenly on the pears. Cover the crust with foil if desired and return the pie to the oven for 40 minutes longer.
Allow the pie to cool to room temperature or serve slightly warm.
You can always add a little ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon for a delicious special dessert.
Don’t forget to PIN to your favorite Pie Board!
No. 35 - Pear Crumb Pie
Pear Crumb Pie - juicy pears topped with a sweet crumb mixture wrapped in a flaky crust - fall fruit at it's best!
Recipe type: Pie, Dessert
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled pears (about 5 large pears)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted cold butter, diced
- In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and nutmeg. Fold in the sliced pears until coated. Sprinkle the mixture with the lemon juice. Pour mixture into the unbaked pie crust and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, combine the topping ingredients. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Remove pie from the oven and spread the topping over the filling. Bake for 40 minutes. Cover the crust with foil to prevent over browning if necessary.
- Cool and serve room temperature or slightly warm with ice cream.
(Adapted from a recipe by Cathy Cremers on Allrecipes.com)
Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a happy Monday free from natural disasters 🙂