This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
PIN to your favorite Pie Board!
Skillet Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 Double Pie Crust Recipe (See link in NOTES)
For the pie filling:
- 5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 3 Paula Red apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, or granulated sugar
- Prepare and refrigerate the pie crust dough in two discs.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the cinnamon and granulated sugar. Toss apples with the cinnamon sugar mixture and set aside.
- Melt butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved taking care not to burn or scorch the mixture. Remove from heat.
- Divide the crust dough in half. Roll out one piece on a lightly floured surface until it is about the size of the bottom of the skillet. Place the pie crust over the brown sugar mixture. Carefully layer the apple mixture and any apple juice in the bowl. Roll out the other half of the pie crust dough and fit it over the top of the apples. Beat the egg and milk together and brush it on top of the crust. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar and cut 5 or 6 slits in the dough to vent.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cover the pie with foil if it is starting to brown too quickly. The pie will be done when it is golden brown and bubbly. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving. Top with ice cream if desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
I couldn’t be happier with the success of this pie. It’s at least one of our top 3 favorites so far this year. Once all 52 are baked and blogged, we’ll share our favorites and other interesting statistics about our year of the pie.
Thanks so much for stopping by! I have a really good bran muffin recipe to post Wednesday (for my cousin Gayle). Please check back and once again – thanks so much for your emails, comments and continued support!