This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Apple Cranberry & Currant Crumb Pie ~ a delicious pie with a fantastic combination of tart and sweet fruits, all soaked in a little brandy and topped with a tasty crumble
PIN to your favorite Pie Board!
Loaded with fruit and a terrific crumb topping
- 1 recipe Perfect Pie Crust (see link in Notes)
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and sliced (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
Mix and roll out a single pastry shell in a 9-inch pie plate. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Mix the brandy and the currants in a measuring cup and set aside to soak until the currants are plump, about an hour.
In a large mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar, 6 tablespoons flour, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Peel, core and slice 6 cups of Granny Smith apples. Add the apples to the sugar cinnamon mixture and toss until well combined. Add the cranberries and stir gently to prevent smashing the fruit. Drain the currants but reserve the brandy. Add the currants to the apple mixture and mix gently. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust and drizzle with the reserved brandy.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup unsalted butter. Blend until the butter forms small lumps. You can use your fingers or a pastry blender, whatever works best for you.
Sprinkle the crumb mixture on top of the filling and spread evenly to cover the top. Place the pie on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 55-60 minutes at 375F on the lower rack of the oven until the mixture is bubbly and the top is lightly browned. Cover the top with foil if the crumb mixture is browning too quickly.
- Cool the pie to room temperature and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
(Adapted from a recipe by Simply Recipes)
We use our Perfect Pie Crust in 3 Easy Steps Recipe for this pie. Click HERE for the recipe and video tutorial