We love salsa. Mild, spicy, restaurant style, chunky – it makes no difference. We are a salsa family. Given our mild addiction, it’s very surprising I’ve never made pineapple salsa before. Talk about simple! This stuff is amazing – easy to make and equally easy to eat … on just about anything.
Diced fresh pineapple is combined with cilantro, lime juice, sweet onion, salt, pepper and a few peppers. That’s it! You could use red onion or scallions, hot peppers or sweet, the combinations are all good.
I’ve been craving a thick piece of grilled fish, like mahi mahi or grouper and now I want this salsa on top. Fish tacos with pineapple salsa, grilled chicken, bean and rice burritos or just a bag of chips – this lovely condiment would be the perfect match for any meal.
Cinco de Mayo, celebrated May 5th, is coming up in a few weeks. While I think it’s turning into an opportunity to eat and drink anything Mexican, it is actually an important day in Mexican history. The Mexican army defeated the French at the Battle of Puebla. The Mexican army was the unlikely victor, out numbered and ill equipped. Those with Mexican heritage celebrate their Country’s victory as well as their proud heritage. If you celebrate with family, food and drink, pineapple salsa would be a great addition to your Cinco de Mayo table.
Don’t forget your PIN!
- 3 cups diced pineapple, about 1 medium pineapple
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 red hot pepper, seeded and minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Peel and core the pineapple removing all tough edges and blemishes. Dice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces and place in a medium bowl with a tight fitting lid.
- Remove the stems from the peppers, split in half and remove the seeds and membrane (or ribs). Dice and add to the pineapple.
- Add the onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper to the pineapple and gently stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Happy Monday – I hope you’re enjoying wonderful spring weather. We had a lovely weekend and actually did some yard work. My husband turned the compost and I weeded the flower beds. We’re also working on a bathroom renovation – now that’s fun! Haha – I hope you have a wonderful week and please check back on Thursday for a new recipe! Thanks so much for stopping by.