This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Pizzelles are a lightly sweet, crisp and delicious anise flavored Italian wafer cookie.
There are a lot of options available for electric pizzelle cookie irons.
There are many delicious ways to shape, serve and enjoy these light little pizzelles.
- One of our favorite ways to serve pizzelles is with a bowl of ice cream. For an exceptional treat, try serving these pizzelles with our favorite homemade Chai Gelato. The flavor combination is wonderful!
- Scoop your favorite flavor of ice cream between two cookies and freeze until set. Instant ice cream sandwiches!
- Dip or drizzle the cookies in melted chocolate and garnish with chopped nuts, sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve!
- Form the pizzelles into small edible bowls to serve fruit, ice cream, mousse or even yogurt! Turn a small heatproof bowl over and use the back as a mold. While the pizzelles are hot from the iron, lay them over the back of the bowl pressing to mold into the desired shape. Allow the pizzelles to cool then store in an airtight container until needed. You can also press the pizzelles into a muffin tin to form edible bowls.
- Make cannolis! Carefully roll a hot pizzelle around a dowel rod or wooden spoon handle. Fill with your favorite cannoli filling and sprinkle the ends with nuts or mini chocolate chips.
- Have you ever had a Choco Taco? These are my son’s favorites! Form the hot pizzelles into a taco shape and let cool. Fill with ice cream, then cover the top with homemade Magic Shell and chopped nuts. Freeze until firm and enjoy like a taco!
The possibilities are endless!
Recipes for pizzelles are numerous and can vary greatly.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be baking friends! When you try our recipe please leave a comment on this post. If you loved this recipe we’d appreciate a 5-star rating! Sharing your experience, variations and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. If you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one. If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 8 tablespoons margarine, melted and slightly cooled
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons Anise extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Cream the butter, margarine and sugar together. Add the eggs and Anise and beat until the mixture is creamy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the batter and mix until blended. If the batter is too thick you can add a tablespoons of water, or a little flour if it's too thin.
- Bake the Pizzelles according to the manufactures directions. Store in an airtight container.
Here are a few more delicious pizzelle recipes you might also enjoy:
Pumpkin Spiced Pizzelles ~ pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice flavor this simple little easy-to-make cookie. Great served with a bowl of ice cream or as an ice cream sandwich. Roll the hot cookie into a cannoli shape then fill with mousse or dip in white chocolate for a special treat. Click HERE to get the recipe.
Chocolate Pizzelles dipped in white chocolate with peppermint, walnuts, chocolate chips, coconut and pistachios for a special holiday treat. Click HERE to get the recipe.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Tricia
Originally published September 2013, updated August 2019