This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Fresh orange zest and grated nutmeg are stars in this dessert. Using fresh ingredients can take an OK recipe to an outstanding family favorite.
Pumpkin Mousse & Ginger Snap Parfait
For the mousse:
- 1 envelope (.25 ounce) unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup spiced rum
- 1 (15-oz) can pure pumpkin
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups cold heavy cream
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the cookie layer:
- 3 ½ cups crushed ginger snap cookies (see link in notes)
To prepare the mousse:
- Pour the rum to a small heatproof metal bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the rum and let it stand for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the pumpkin, sugars, egg yolks, orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. Whisk until combined.
- In a 2-quart saucepan add water to a 1-inch depth. Heat the water to boiling, then reduce to simmer. Set the bowl of softened gelatin over the simmering water. Heat and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Immediately whisk the hot mixture into the pumpkin making sure it is well blended.
- In a large mixing bowl beat 1 ½ cups cream on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture and set aside. Do not over-beat.
To prepare the whipped cream:
- In a large mixing bowl beat 1 cup cold heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat on high until soft peaks form. Do not over-beat as you want it to be creamy, not stiff.
To assemble the parfaits:
- Divide half the pumpkin mixture into 12 small parfait glasses. Divide half the chopped cookies on top of the pumpkin mixture, then top with half the sweetened whipped cream. Repeat layers and garnish with ½ a whole cookie if desired. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Mousse adapted from a recipe by Ina Garten
- Click HERE for our easy Ginger Snap Cookie Recipe