This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Simple and light, and deliciously refreshing ~ Strawberry Salad with Chicken and Poppy Seed Dressing is a great main course salad with an amazing combination of flavors.
From the tender chunks of chicken and the creamy bite of feta cheese, to the toasted sliced almonds and poppy seeds, every bite will delight your senses!
Strawberries are without a doubt, one of my all-time favorite fruits. Not only do strawberries taste fantastic, they are an excellent source of Vitamin C, and a good source of manganese. Strawberries are wonderful eaten fresh but also freeze beautifully. We often flash freeze strawberries by cleaning them and placing on a baking sheet in a single layer. The baking sheet of strawberries are placed in the freezer until frozen, then transferred to a freezer bag for storage. Flash freezing fruit in this way keeps it from turning into one giant frozen lump of berries. Then you can easily pick a few out of the bag and pop them in a smoothie from time to time.
If you love them too, I bet you’ll find a few strawberry recipes in our archives that you may want to try! A few of our favorites include this simple Strawberry Mascarpone Cake, our crazy delicious Small Batch Strawberry Jam. For a bit of nostalgia, I hope you’ll try our Homemade Strawberry PopTarts – delicious!
Enjoy this salad with a simple dressing made with pureed strawberries, a touch of Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, toasted poppy seeds and canola oil. For a little extra tang, you can substitute white balsamic for the red wine vinegar. We love it either way but if using dark balsamic, please note the dressing will not have that pretty pink hue, but instead be kind of brown in color.
We serve this salad on top of a bed of fresh mixed field greens and red leaf lettuce. Don’t forget the feta and toasted almonds, they are a great compliment to the sweet taste of fresh, ripe strawberries!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! When you try our recipe please leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
Strawberry Salad with Chicken and Poppy Seed Dressing
For the Strawberry Dressing:
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup strawberries, tops removed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, or white balsamic
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Canola oil
For the Salad:
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 8 cups red leaf lettuce, torn combined with field greens
- 2 cups strawberries, cleaned with tops removed, halved
- 1 chicken breast, roasted, grilled or poached, chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thin sliced red onion (if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a small dry skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds until fragrant and golden, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer the toasted almonds to a small plate and add the poppy seeds to the now clean skillet. Toast the poppy seeds until slightly darkened and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing the salad and dressing.
To make the dressing:
- In a blender or food processor, puree the 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries. Add the red-wine vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Process until blended. Add the Canola oil and blend until creamy. Check the seasoning and add more pepper if needed. Stir in the toasted poppy seeds. Set the dressing aside.
To make the salad:
- Divide the lettuce and field greens between two large bowls. Top each salad with 1 cup of strawberries, half the chopped chicken, feta cheese, black pepper, and onions if using. Sprinkle with additional poppy seeds. Drizzle each salad with dressing and serve.
If you’re looking for a great blender with single serve cups perfect for making dressings and strawberry smoothies, we’re in love with our Ninja and don’t know what we’d do without it. Click on the photo for more information:
The small print: If you decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog.
Still looking for more strawberry recipes? How about this beautiful Fresh Strawberry Frosting ~ from Barefeet in the Kitchen, or an amazing 5-Ingredient Strawberry Royale Dessert ~ from Reluctant Entertainer. I cannot wait to try this refreshing Strawberry Colada ~ from The Little Kitchen and these frozen Strawberry and Yogurt Popsicles ~ from Pint Sized Baker.
I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend filled with fun, family and friends. Thank you so much for stopping by!