Summer Squash & Onions – a simple uncomplicated dish that is healthy, delicious, and the perfect way to enjoy the season’s best yellow squash and zucchini.
Originally posted July 2011, updated June 2018
You can use zucchini or yellow squash, or a combination of both.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! If you try our recipe, please leave a comment, and photo if you have one, on Pinterest. If you share on INSTAGRAM use the hashtag #savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be super happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER | YOUTUBE for all the latest recipes, videos and updates!
A simple uncomplicated dish that is healthy, delicious, and the perfect way to enjoy the season's best yellow squash and zucchini.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large or 2 small sweet onions, chopped or sliced
- 2-3 medium zucchini, chopped or sliced
- 2-3 yellow squash, chopped or sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, with juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt like Accent
- 1-2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash any flavor (no salt added - we like Table Blend)
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter. Once the butter is melted, add the chopped onions and sauté until crisp tender and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the squash, zucchini, tomatoes with juice, pepper, salt and Mrs. Dash.
Heat until boiling. Cover and cook over medium-low until the squash is crisp tender but not falling apart. Remove the lid and boil until some of the liquid is evaporated.
- If freezing for later use, cook only a few minutes to mix all ingredients, cool and freeze.
You can cook this down until it's like a vegetable stew or just sauté until crisp tender.
If freezing for later use, lightly cook the vegetables without a lid on the skillet.
See the Cook's Notes above and let me know if you have questions!