This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
BBQ Brisket Recipe – making delicious, tender and juicy beef brisket is easier than you think!
We love great BBQ; you know the kind that has been massaged with an amazing spice rub and slow-smoked for hours.
There is an art and a science to smoking meat and when it comes to babysitting a smoker all day I prefer to leave it to the professionals. However, that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a GREAT BBQ Brisket Recipe at home in just a few hours.
This easy, fool-proof method is a wonderful way to get exceptional results with very little effort.
All you need is a grill and an oven, a good spicy dry rub and some seriously delicious sauce, and I can help you with the rub and sauce! The brisket is coated in the dry rub, then grilled briefly to char the outside and seal in all those wonderful flavors. Place the browned brisket in a 13×9 inch ovenproof pan and cover it with a cup of our Easy Honey BBQ Sauce. The pan is wrapped tightly in foil and baked in the oven for 3 hours. That’s it! Sounds pretty easy right?!
Beef brisket usually comes in a very large slab, about 3 to 4 pounds each, and is easily found in most grocery stores.
It can feed a small crowd which makes it great for parties, events and family gatherings. We’re getting ready to head to the beach for a late summer vacation with the whole family, and this Brisket Recipe is absolutely on the menu!. I’ve been tweaking and perfecting this recipe for years to add more flavor and to get consistently wonderful results. This recipe is a winner, grilling friends!
Our beef brisket recipe yields incredibly tender, juicy results so you don’t even need a knife to cut it.
You can easily pull each piece apart with your fingers and it practically melts in your mouth. Fork tender and very satisfying for those of us that love a good piece of beef.
What kind of sides do you serve with BBQ Beef Brisket?
Leftovers make the best sandwiches.
Guess what you can do with leftovers, if you’re lucky enough to have some?! Brisket sliders of course 😉 Toasty little buns, plenty of tender brisket, crunchy slaw and sweet honey BBQ sauce – just wait for the marriage proposals to start pouring in.
The perfect party food!
Keep this in mind for your fall events too, since football and tailgating seasons are just around the corner.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be grilling friends! When you try our recipe please leave a comment on this post. If you loved this recipe we’d appreciate a 5-star rating! Sharing your experience, variations and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. If you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one. If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
BBQ Brisket Recipe
- 1 whole beef brisket, about 4 pounds
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, plus more for serving
For the spice rub:
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix together the brown sugar, chile powder, cumin, salt, garlic, pepper and cayenne.
- If desired, trim the fat cap on the beef brisket to about ½-inch thick. Dry the brisket with paper towels then rub the spice mixture all over the beef, on both sides. Set aside while heating the grill.
- Preheat gas grill on high for 10-minutes. Turn the heat down to medium-high. Place the brisket on the grill and cook until it is charred and crusted, but not burnt. Turn and continue grilling on the other side until well marked. The fatty side of the brisket will cause flare-ups as the fat renders and drips. Watch the beef carefully so it does not burn.
- Once browned on both sides, place the brisket, fat side up, in an oven-proof 13x9-inch baking pan. Pour 1-cup of BBQ sauce over the top and spread to cover. Seal the pan with two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. Bake at 325°F for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and allow the meat to rest for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and place the brisket on a cutting board. Discard the juices or see notes below. Slice thin and serve with additional sauce if desired.
- Serves 8-10 depending on how hungry you are!
- Substitute your favorite smoked chili powder for the ancho.
- If you don’t have a grill, you can cut the brisket in half and brown in a very large skillet on the stove-top for similar results. Grilling adds a lot of flavor so it will not be exactly the same.
- I recommend using an electric knife for easy slicing.
- If you prefer to save the drippings after baking, first skim off all the fat. Add a cup of BBQ sauce to the drippings and heat the mixture in a saucepan until simmering. Serve with the beef if desired, or dip each slice in the mixture before serving. We prefer to serve with thick sauce on the side as shown in the photos and discard the drippings.
- We use our Easy Honey BBQ Sauce Recipe for basting and serving.
We have an old electric knife that we use for slicing this beef brisket. It does a terrific job of making clean thin slices and is great for slicing turkey too! Click on the photo for more information:
If you purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog. Thanks for supporting SRFD!