This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Juicy Blueberry Crumb Bars with a sweet buttery crust
There’s nothing like sweet summer blueberries baked in a simple crust to excite the taste buds!
This simple dessert is saturated with intense blueberry flavor and hints of bright, fresh lemon juice layered in a buttery crust. The flavor combo is classic and always a favorite.
The flavor of our Blueberry Crumb Bars remind me of a luscious pie. The buttery nuggets of crumbled topping are similar to the topping baked on our popular Blueberry Crumble Pie.
Ingredients to make Blueberry Crumb Bars:
For the crust:
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- lemon zest
- unsalted butter
For the blueberry layer:
- granulated sugar
- lemon juice
For the icing:
- powdered sugar
- fresh lemon juice
How to make Blueberry Crumb Bars:
To prepare the crust:
- Mix the crust ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Press a little more than half into the bottom of a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
To prepare the filling:
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Add the blueberries and toss to combine.
- Pour over the prepared crust.
- Crumble the remaining dough in clumps over the blueberries.
To prepare the icing:
- Whisk together and drizzle over the cooled bars. Refrigerate the cooled bars before slicing.
Blueberry Crumb Bars are best cut cold.
For best results refrigerate cooled Blueberry Crumb Bars for an hour before slicing. There’s loads of gooey filling in these bars so it’s best to wait until it’s set. However, you can eat these bars warm from the oven. You may need a fork but that’s okay. We love them warm, room temperature and slightly chilled!
Our Blueberry Bars can be cut into wedges, squares or rectangles as we’ve done here. You can also bake the mixture in a 9-inch square pan for a thicker bar. They’re great anyway you slice ’em!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature (about 30 minutes) before serving.
The amazing blueberry!
Blueberries are one of the few fruits native to North America. They’re loaded with healthy antioxidants which are linked to improved memory in older adults. I say eat more blueberries!
These indigo-colored berries never cease to amaze and inspire. How can such a tiny little package contain so much intense flavor! Blueberries are second only to strawberries in US consumption and it’s easy to see why.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be baking friends! When you try our recipe please leave a comment on this post. If you loved this recipe we’d appreciate a 5-star rating! Sharing your experience, variations and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too.
Blueberry Crumb Bars
for the crust:
- 1 cup granulated sugar (222g)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (378g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cut into cubes (226g or 16 tablespoons)
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
for the blueberry layer:
- ½ cup granulated sugar (110g)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 5 cups blueberries (about 1 1/2 pounds)
for the icing: (optional)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- juice of ½ lemon +/- for desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350°F if using a glass pan. See Note if using a metal pan. Lightly grease a 13×9-inch pan and set aside.
To prepare the crust:
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Using a pasty cutter or food processor cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the beaten egg and mix until the dough starts to hold together but is till crumbly. Press a little more than half the dough into the prepared pan. Set aside.
To prepare the blueberry mixture:
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Add the blueberries and toss gently with a rubber spatula to combine. Pour the blueberry mixture over the crust and spread evenly. Crumble the remaining dough (with some larger clumps) over the blueberry layer leaving some blueberries exposed and peaking through the crust.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool completely then chill for cleaner cuts. Cut into small squares, bars or wedges. Whisk together the icing ingredients and lightly drizzle each bar as desired.
We know you’re going to LOVE these Blueberry Crumb Bars! What’s your favorite fruit filled bar?