This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy Blueberry Crumb Bars ~ there’s nothing like sweet summer blueberries baked in a simple crust to excite the taste buds! This simple, easy dessert is saturated with intense blueberry flavor and hints of bright, fresh lemon.
These indigo-colored berries never cease to inspire, and amaze me. How can such a tiny little package contain so much intense flavor? Second only to the strawberry in US consumption, blueberries can be found in everything from BBQ, salads, smoothies, pies, pancakes, sauces, popsicles and cakes; so it seems blueberries can make everything delicious!
Nutrient rich blueberries are one of the few fruits native to North America. Loaded with antioxidants, blueberries have also been linked to improved memory in older adults. I say eat more blueberries!
These Easy Blueberry Crumb Bars are best cut after being chilled in the refrigerator. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature (about 60 minutes) before serving.
Cut into squares, bars or wedges for serving. Ice cream seems like a good idea here too! If you love blueberries, this is a must make recipe with your fresh summer berries.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be baking friends! If you make our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
Blueberry Crumb Bars
for the crust:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
for the blueberry layer:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 5 cups blueberries (about 1 1/2 pounds)
for the icing: (optional)
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon (more or less for desired consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees if using a glass pan. See Note if using a metal pan. Lightly grease or spray a 13×9 inch pan and set aside.
To prepare the crust:
- In a medium bowl whisk together 1 cup of sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Using a pasty cutter, or a fork and knife, cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the beaten egg and mix until the dough starts to hold together, but is till crumbly. Lightly, but firmly, press a little more than half the dough into the prepared pan.
To prepare the blueberry mixture:
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Add the blueberries and gently toss with a rubber spatula to combine. Pour the blueberry mixture over the crust and spread evenly. Crumble the remaining dough (with some larger clumps) over the blueberry layer leaving some blueberries exposed and peaking through the crust.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool completely then chill for cleaner cuts. Cut into small squares, bars or wedges. Whisk together the icing ingredients and lightly drizzle each bar as desired.
Here are a few of our favorite tools used when making this dessert (each photo is clickable):
The small print: If you decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog. Thanks!
Here at SRFD we love blueberries and if you do too, check out all our delicious BLUEBERRY RECIPES published together on one page. I bet you can find a few to try! One of our most popular dessert recipes is this delicious Blueberry Crumble Pie. And don’t miss these wonderful Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Crumble Topping too – great any time of year! I love this super popular Blueberry Zucchini Snack Cake with Lemon Buttercream ~ from The View from Great Island and would happily devour a big slice of this beautiful Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Squares ~ from Oh Sweet Basil!
And finally, we’ve had a flurry of out-of-town guests this summer and were thrilled to reconnect and visit with them all. And, just like that, here we are at the end of July! Are you going to try and squeeze in one more long weekend or family vacation before school starts up again? It won’t be long before we bust out the canned pumpkin and our favorite fleece jackets. It’s been a terribly hot summer here in Virginia so I’m looking forward to cooler evening weather myself. Thanks so much for stopping by!