This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chunky Vegetable Soup with Smoked Paprika – fresh hearty vegetables are the stars of this flavorful soup seasoned with balsamic vinegar and a dash of smoked paprika.
Leeks, carrots, zucchini, celery, onion, and green beans are just a few of the fresh ingredients that make this heart healthy soup a perfect meatless Monday meal. I cooked this soup just until the vegetables were tender, not soft. The canned butter and kidney beans are already cooked so they only needed warmed. Heavily garnished with fresh herbs and finished with balsamic vinegar and smoked paprika, this soup is both satisfying and delicious.
With just a little prep work this soup comes together quickly. The entire dish cooks in about 30 minutes so if you have minimal knife skills the rest is a breeze. I find it very comforting that if we take the time to use fresh ingredients, the end result will be worth every minute of preparation.
Drizzle a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot. Add the celery, carrots, leeks, garlic, zucchini and red onion. Saute for just a few minutes until the olive oil no longer pools on the bottom of the pan. We’re not trying to soften the vegetables so this should only take 3-4 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, green beans and tomato paste to the pot. Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just barely tender. Add the vinegar, paprika, butter beans and kidney beans. Stir until well mixed and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and add fresh chopped parsley and basil.
Serve immediately garnished with additional herbs and freshly ground pepper, with a nice hunk of whole grain bread on the side. This recipe may not win the most decadent, sexy award of the week, but it will satisfy while keeping us on track – eating a “mostly vege/plant based diet” for at least 5 days a week!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! When you try our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
Here are a few of our favorite healthy soup recipes you might also like:
Winter Minestrone Soup ~ enjoy the rich, flavorful broth loaded with fresh seasonal vegetables, white beans and pasta This soup is super easy to make, it’s filling, healthy, hearty and delicious. Click HERE to get the recipe for Winter Minestrone Soup.
Vegetable Soup with Lentils & Seasonal Greens – a delicious, hearty and rustic soup with vegetables simmered in a rich flavorful broth with wilted seasonal greens & lentils. Click HERE to get the recipe for Vegetable Soup with Lentils & Seasonal Greens.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large leek, white only, sliced
- 7-8 cups vegetable broth, approximately 2 (32 ounce) cartons (low sodium)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, low sodium, do not drain
- 6 ounce can tomato paste, low sodium
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, to taste
- 1 16 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5 ounce can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, sliced in 2" pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, rough chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, rough chopped, plus more for garnish
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Drizzle the olive oil in the bottom of a large dutch oven or soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, zucchini, carrots, celery and leeks. Saute for 3-4 minutes or just until the olive oil is no longer visible on the bottom of the pan and well distributed on the vegetables.
- Add the vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, green beans and tomato paste. Stir and cook for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Stir in the smoked paprika, butter beans, kidney beans and balsamic vinegar.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the fresh chopped herbs.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish each bowl with fresh chopped parsley and basil and ground black pepper.
(adapted from a recipe by Belinda Williams in Delicious Soups)
Happy Monday friends! The weather is cold, rainy and another bowl of this soup may be just what I need! I have one more post with photos of Ireland to share this week then I hope to get back to a few desserts – because well, I just love dessert. And I have been saving room for dessert! Have a terrific week and thanks so much for stopping by!