This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Colcannon ~ a traditional Irish dish made with cabbage, onions and potatoes. Colcannon is easy to make, inexpensive, delicious pure Irish comfort food!
What would a trip to Ireland be without enjoying a big scoop of Irish Colcannon? This is one of the most popular and beloved Irish recipes. It has many adaptations but the basic recipe includes potatoes, cabbage and/or kale, scallions, butter, milk and salt and pepper. Leeks and chives are also common add-ins.
I can’t believe I haven’t posted this yet – especially since it is our favorite potato dish. We usually sauté sweet onion with the cabbage and only use a small amount of scallions. But since we’re in Ireland this week on a hiking, sight-seeing, photo safari, pub-crawling, foodie adventure, I went traditional all the way!
Our garden kale is still producing so I picked a few stems to add in with the cabbage.
To make Colcannon you will need starchy potatoes like Yukon Gold, scallions, cabbage or kale, butter and milk. Simple ingredients for an amazing dish!
For this Colcannon recipe you can sauté the cabbage and kale or boil it for just a few minutes.
I like sauteing the vegetables in a small amount of vegetable oil especially when using sweet onions like Vidalia. But boiling works great and only takes a few minutes to soften the cabbage and kale.
Once the potatoes are cooked, they are mashed until smooth then mixed with butter and milk.
Stir in the cooked cabbage and scallions, then season the mixture with plenty of salt and pepper.
Traditional Colcannon is served with a pool of butter in the middle.
To serve the Colcannon scoop a serving into an small bowl, then make a well in the center. Add a pat of butter and serve. Take a scoop of potatoes on your fork and dip it in the butter and enjoy!
We vacationed in Ireland 5 years ago and are very excited to go back again!
Sister-in-law Rita is going with us and she is such fun! We spent time in Dublin, Dingle, Killarney and Doolin and places in between. Click HERE to visit all our Ireland posts.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! When you try our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and halved
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk or light cream
- 1 small green cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 1 -2 cups of kale, ribs removed and sliced thin
- 6-8 scallions finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain in a colander then return to the pot. Mash the potatoes until smooth then add the milk and 6 tablespoons of the butter. Salt and pepper the mixture and set aside to keep warm while preparing the cabbage.
- Add the sliced kale and cabbage to a pot of boiling, salted water. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Drain well. You may also sauté the cabbage and kale in a large skillet with a little olive oil until wilted, if preferred.
- Mix the potato and cabbage together and stir in the scallions. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, scoop potatoes into a serving bowl and make a well in the center. Add the remaining butter and garnish with a few pieces of chopped scallion.
We have so many favorite Irish inspired dishes it’s hard to just pick a few. We did a roundup of some amazing recipes in this Irish Recipes & Travel Posts where you can find a little bit of everything. Our classic Dublin Coddle has been super popular and it’s so easy and delicious. And don’t forget to try this amazing Guinness Chocolate Cake – it’s outstanding!
If you’re planning a trip to the beautiful Emerald Isle, be sure to check out all our posts about Our Ireland Adventures!
Hope you’re having a great week. Thanks so much for stopping by!