This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy, cheesy and delicious, homemade Meatball Sub Sandwiches are sure to satisfy and so much better than you can get in a fast-food restaurant!
What do you do with a freezer full of Homemade Italian Meatballs? Make delicious dinners of course! Seriously, I love having ready-made dinners in the freezer and meatballs are the perfect jumping off spot to cut prep time. As I’ve mentioned before, we usually have a monthly Sunday supper with our two adult children, their spouses and our grandchildren. I normally cook, so anything that can be done ahead is a bonus.
I recently made a double batch of our homemade Italian Meatballs, intending to serve them for Sunday supper. But then the nasty, horrible, icky flu got ahold of me and put me down for more than a week, so we had to cancel dinner this month. My poor little granddaughter got the flu too, poor baby. We’re both on the mend, but I still haven’t gotten my strength back. I hope you’ve stayed healthy this winter – being sick is the pits! Thank goodness I’m able to pull out a few frozen meatballs and make an incredibly delicious dinner in a flash!
These meatball sub sandwiches taste like I fussed for hours, but that’s not at all the case.
We had a jar of marinara sauce on hand so all we needed was a couple of sub rolls and provolone cheese. There are only a few steps to making this amazing sandwich but the most important is preparing the sub rolls. Cut each roll in half, then place cut side down in a large preheated skillet with olive oil. This is the same method used when making our favorite Bruschetta Recipe. Cook until the rolls are golden brown, then remove from the skillet and generously rub the toasted sides with a large cut clove of garlic. Toasting the bread helps keep it from turning to mush when you add the sauce, and it adds so much flavor and crunch – wow it’s good.
If you don’t have a freezer full of homemade meatballs, store-bought will do in a pinch.
Top the sandwich with provolone or mozzarella, and a little Parmesan too. I used a jar of low-sodium organic marinara sauce from Uncle Steve’s Italian Specialties by Steve Schirripa. If you have it in your stores, I recommend giving it a try. Serve with extra sauce on the side!
Thanks for PINNING!
We’d love to connect with you on social media. If you try our recipe, please use the hashtag #savingroomfordessert on INSTAGRAM so we can come give your post some love! And be sure to FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER for all the latest recipes and updates.
Meatball Sub Sandwich
- 6-8 meatballs, cooked (baked or heated in sauce)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (plus more for serving if desired)
- 2 sub rolls, split lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (more or less as needed)
- 1 large clove garlic, split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- 2 large slices of provolone cheese
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Prepare fresh or frozen meatballs according to package directions. If using our meatball recipe, you can microwave the frozen meatballs at 50% power for about 4-5 minutes. Add the marinara and meatballs to a medium saucepan and heat on medium-low until warmed through.
- While the meatballs are warming, prepare the sub rolls. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, place the sub rolls cut side down in the pan. Heat until the bread is toasted and golden brown. Remove from the pan and place the bottoms of the rolls on a small baking sheet. Rub all four toasted sides of the rolls with the cut side of the garlic. Be generous with the garlic! Discard the used garlic. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven on Low-Broil. Divide the meatballs on the bottom half of each roll (no need to broil the other half of the sub roll as it's already toasted) Add a little extra sauce on top of each, then top with the provolone cheese. Place the pan on the center rack of the oven and broil on low until the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Immediately place the top of the roll on the meatballs and press gently. Secure with a toothpick if desired. Serve immediately.
I love my heavy-duty quarter-sheet pan for this kind of recipe – click on the photo for more information:
If you decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog. Thanks for supporting SRFD!
If you love a good hearty sandwich as much as we do, you might also enjoy these drool-worthy Foil Pack French Dip Sandwiches from Chelsea’s Messy Apron. We have a recipe for a delicious meatless version for a Vegetarian French Dip with Mushroom Jus that’s worth a try! Also love this Italian Club Sandwich Recipe from Fifteen Spatulas – it must be so delicious. Finally, these super easy and quick New England Style Shrimp Rolls from The View from Great Island are on my list of must makes. They’d be great for a casual party on the deck.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Tricia