This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy Stir Fry Vegetables is the kind of dish you’ll love having in your back pocket for a quick meatless-Monday meal, any day of the week!
This is one of those ‘lost but never forgotten’ recipes I used to make all the time. I remember that my kids always enjoyed it, so if they’ll eat it, I bet your kids will too! Who doesn’t love a true 15 minute meal loaded with tender crisp broccoli, carrots, onions, and water chestnuts coated in a tangy, sweet sauce, then topped with cashews and served over a bowl of rice? Did I mention it’s healthy too?
First, you don’t have to limit this dish to just broccoli, onions and carrots. Feel free to clean out the vegetable drawer and cook up whatever you have on hand. Peppers or snow peas are terrific additions and if you have leftover chicken, toss it in too.
The sauce is easily doubled, which is always the right thing to do when serving these tasty Easy Stir Fry Vegetables with rice!
I don’t often see water chestnuts used in recipes any more, but I still love the crispy crunch. Don’t forget the cashews and a few toasted sesame seeds. This is the perfect easy-to-make vegetable dish that doubles as a meatless main. It’s adaptable to just about any vegetable, or any protein including tofu.
Finally, you might want to set the table before the vegetables are chopped and the sauce is blended, because this cooks in about 5 minutes!
Don’t forget your PIN!
Easy Stir Fry Vegetables
- 1/2 pound broccoli
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 3 small carrots, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 (1-inch) piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a 1 cup measure, combine the honey, vinegar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and ginger. Set aside
- Separate broccoli into florets. Slice the broccoli stems into matchstick strips.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil and heat until shimmering. Add the broccoli stems, carrots and onions to the skillet and stir fry until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and water chestnuts and stir for 1 minute or until the broccoli florets turn bright green in color.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir the soy sauce mixture and pour over the vegetables. It will thicken quickly so be ready to gently stir the vegetables so they will all be coated in the sauce. If you feel it's too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water to the pan. Gently stir until all vegetables are coated.
- Serve the vegetables as a side dish or over rice for a meatless main. Sprinkle with a few cashews and sesame seeds and enjoy.
Here are a few more stir fry recipes you might enjoy:
- 40 Basic Stir Fry Sauce Recipes ~ from Seasons & Suppers
- 15 Minute Lo Mein ~ from Pinch of Yum
- Easy Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry ~ from Damn Delicious
- Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry ~ from Saving Room for Dessert
These are a few of our favorite kitchen tools used to make this dish (each photo is clickable):
The small print: If you decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Hope you have a terrific week 🙂