This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
You’ve heard it before, and probably will again but homemade Honey Cashew Chicken is so much better than take-out!
Cashew chicken is my go-to favorite when craving Asian inspired recipes.
Serve over sticky Jasmine rice for a complete meal.
The original Cashew Chicken recipe is attributed to a restaurateur in Springfield, Missouri.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! If you make our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one!
If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates.
Honey Cashew Chicken
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons Sriracha sauce more or less to taste
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
For the stir fry:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and ribs removed, chopped or sliced
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup unsalted cashew nuts toasted (see notes)
- hot cooked rice for serving
- ¼ cup sliced green onions for garnish if desired
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- In a large glass bowl prepare the marinade by combining 2 tablespoons cornstarch, black pepper, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sesame oil and 1 teaspoon rice vinegar. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing the vegetables. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- In a small bowl combine the sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat until shimmering. Add the broccoli, onion and bell pepper and sauté until the vegetables are crisp tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and then the honey sauce mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and all vegetables and chicken are coated, about 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the cashews to the skillet. Stir to coat. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice garnished with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.