This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Marinated Honey Sesame Grilled Shrimp – a quick and flavorful dinner option for an easy weeknight meal or casual dinner party.
This grilled shrimp recipe is all about quick and easy! Start with a simple marinade made with garlic, onions, ginger, soy sauce, honey, Thai sweet chili sauce and wine vinegar. Everything is mixed up in a large plastic bag or bowl. Throw in the thawed shrimp and pop it in the refrigerator for an hour or more. Remove the shrimp from the marinade, thread onto skewers and grill for about 5-6 minutes! To make your job even easier and faster, buy deveined shrimp so all you need to do is remove the shells, leaving the tail intact.
Shrimp (a/k/a prawns) are loaded with protein, and are low in cholesterol and fat, too!
According to Health.com, three ounces of shrimp yields 20 grams of protein, which is pretty spectacular. They’re also nutrient dense and loaded with antioxidants. Check out THIS article for some impressive statistics about the amazing little shrimp. Shrimp is a healthy choice, it’s readily available year-round, and is easy to cook in a variety of ways. Grilled shrimp is always great choice for dinner!
Buy fresh or frozen shrimp, and here’s why.
We usually buy frozen wild caught shrimp, for several reasons. Bagged frozen shrimp was frozen soon after it was caught leaving little time for it to deteriorate or start to smell funny. Shrimp you see in the seafood case is most likely frozen shrimp that has been thawed. As with all seafood, fresh is best if you can find it. But since we don’t live on the coast, we rely on frozen shrimp for all our recipes. Shrimp thaws quickly making it a great last minute choice for quick delicious dinners like our Spicy Honey Lime Shrimp and this healthy Shrimp Piccata over Zoodles. Throw a few shrimp in your next pot of Gumbo and when you have fresh corn running out your ears, make a bowl of our favorite Spicy Shrimp & Fried Corn. Dinner solved!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be grilling friends! When you try our recipe please leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
Honey Sesame Grilled Shrimp
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds jumbo shrimp
- 2 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pieces sliced fresh ginger, peeled, about ¼-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar, rice wine, white wine, etc.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce, plus more for brushing on while grilling and to pass when serving
- 5 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
- If needed, remove the shells and devein shrimp leaving the tail intact. Rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Trim the green onions by separating the white and green parts. Crush the white part of the onions and rough chop. Thinly slice the green portion of the onions and reserve for garnish.
- In a large bowl or Ziplock bag, combine the white part of the onions, garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce and 3 tablespoons sesame oil. Add the shrimp to the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread onto skewers. Discard the marinade. Brush the skewered shrimp on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- Preheat the grill on high until hot. Clean the grates and grease with vegetable oil soaked paper towels and long tongs. Grill the shrimp for 3-4 minutes or until well charred, then turn. Brush the shrimp with a little sweet chili sauce and continue cooking until done through, about 1-2 minutes more.
- Garnish the shrimp with the sliced green onions and sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
Stainless Steel Skewers
These 14-inch inexpensive stainless steel skewers feature a flat and wide surface which helps keep the food from rotating when turned. They come in a set of 6 skewers. Click on the photo for more information or to purchase from Amazon.
Saving Room for Dessert is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program ~ I earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog.
Here are a few more shrimp recipes you might enjoy:
Shrimp Cocktail is so easy to make, it’s no wonder this classic appetizers popularity has never waned. Click HERE to get the recipe.
Chili Garlic Shrimp can be cooked in a skillet or on the grill. Either way this flavorful shrimp is finger-licking good! Click HERE to get the recipe.
Shrimp Scampi with Asparagus and Tomatoes ~ an easy and delicious restaurant quality dish you can make at home! Click HERE to get the recipe.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Tricia
Leave a Comment