This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lemon-Lime Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies – a Lime infused Shortbread Cookie filled with homemade Lemon Curd and topped with a simple Lime Icing – a bright summer treat!
We have out-of-town company this week and had a family get-together to grill out and show off both our new grand-babies. I made these cookies to serve for dessert and they were a big hit. When I finally got around to asking if anybody liked the cookies (required taste-tester feedback) I was told that our son had already eaten about 10 of them! Apparently he really liked them! These cookies have a bright lemony flavor similar to a great lemon bar, or slice of lemon ice box pie.
The simple shortbread dough is made with just a few ingredients then rolled into 1-inch balls.
Try not to flatten the cookies with a big thumbprint, but instead make a hole straight down into the dough. Fill each with the lemon curd and bake!
A simple icing is made with fresh lime juice and confectioners’ sugar and drizzled on top for that little something extra.
I piped the icing on with a pastry bag and decorating tip but it’s not necessary. You can use a small baggie with a tiny hole cut in the corner and give it the traditional thumbprint zig zag pattern. I thought the flowers look like summer – bright and sunny!
Lemon and lime are a great combination but you could use all lemon and they would be just as good.
The cookie dough is not overly sweet so the addition of jam or lemon curd seals the deal. These cookies can be made with your favorite jam or try our easy recipe for homemade Lemon Curd.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be baking friends! If you make our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
Lemon-Lime Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies
For the cookie dough:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or pure vanilla extract
- juice of ½ fresh lime
- zest of 1 small lime
- dash of salt
- 2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ - ⅔ cup lemon curd (See NOTES for link)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- juice of ½ fresh lime
- Combine the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla bean paste, salt, lime zest and the juice of ½ a lime in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until the mixture is creamy. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula and blend again. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour in 3 parts. Scrape the sides and blend another 30 seconds. Cover the mixing bowl and refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place 2-inches apart on the prepared pan. Make an indention in the center of each cookie with a small finger - pushing straight down trying not to flatten the dough ball. The edges of the dough may crack slightly. Push the cracked dough back together to make a smooth ball. Filled each ball with a heaping ¼ teaspoon of lemon curd.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to rest on the pan for a minute or two before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before icing.
- For the glaze combine the 1 cup powdered sugar and the juice of ½ lime and whisk until smooth. Thicken or thin as desired and drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow the icing to fully set then refrigerate leftovers.
- Feel free to omit the lime and use lemon zest and juice instead.
- Homemade Lemon Curd is very simple to make and delicious served on pound cake, angel food cake, muffins, biscuits or scones.
- Original base shortbread recipe adapted from Land-O-Lakes.
Here are a few more cookie recipes you might enjoy:
- Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
- Lemon Meltaways
- Milk Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Shortbread Cookies ~ from The View from Great Island
- Orange, Lemon and Lime Citrus Cookies ~ from Sugary Sweets
I used the following tools to make these delightful, cookies! (Each photo is clickable)
And finally, we’re off to do the sight-seeing thing in the Washington D.C. area. We love to entertain our guests with the amazing history of the area. There is so much to do from small town antiquing in Virginia, touring civil war battlefields, visiting the homes of the many presidents from Virginia, and all the way to the museums and monuments of Washington D.C. Happy Monday!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Tricia