This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread ~ a super easy, quick bread packed with poppy seeds and lemon then topped with a simple lemon glaze. This is a delightful and delicious loaf cake great served with breakfast, brunch, afternoon tea or even as a light dessert.
We love a good recipe that’s easy to throw together in a matter of minutes. After tons of testing, tweaking and tasting, this is the one that will be my go-to loaf cake for years to come! The texture is light and the flavor is perfectly wonderful. It freezes well, slices beautifully and I’m practically giddy with excitement to share it with you!
This may not be a life changing recipe, but boy is it good! Just like our Easy Banana Bread Recipe, it’s a great cake to have on hand as a hostess gift, a little pick-me-up for a sick friend or just because you have an extra hour in the afternoon to enjoy a cup of tea.
I love the way a great quick bread cracks down the middle. It’s a sign of a successful recipe, and the perfect place to hide a little pool of icing!
In my humble opinion, you can never have too much lemon in a dessert. Our Homemade Lemon Curd is pucker-licious and great served on pound cake, biscuits, scones or muffins. One of our most popular posts is this Lemon Crumble Breakfast Cake, which we adore! Lemon Meltaway Cookies are some of my favorites and these Lemon Sweet Rolls with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing are heavenly!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk, well shaken
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled (8 tablespoons - 1 stick)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 1/2 by 4-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth and well blended. Add the buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
Add the flour mixture to the sugar and eggs, and whisk just until blended.
- Drizzle in the melted butter and add the poppy seeds.
- Fold together with a rubber spatula until blended. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack for 30 minutes then remove from the pan and cool completely before icing. Drizzle with lemon icing if desired or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Whisk together until you reach the desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake and serve immediately.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Quick breads, loaf cakes and sweet breads are some of the easiest, but most delicious recipes around.
With little effort, you can reap the big reward! This Maple Cinnamon Quick Bread ~ from The Food Charlatan sounds like a terrific way to enjoy cake disguised as bread! You’ll want to check out this gorgeous Cherry and Almond Quick Bread ~ from Foodiecrush, and for the chocolate lover (me!) we’ll want to try this Mocha Chocolate Chip Bread ~ from Back for Seconds. Let’s not ignore our savory side and check out this recipe for Quick Cheese Bread ~ from Your Home Based Mom.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a terrific weekend 🙂