This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Simply perfect Peaches and Cream
If you love peach desserts with ice cream, then you’ll love this recipe!
If you’ve never tried Peaches and Cream you’re in for a surprise. There are reasons this simple yet elegant dessert has been around for ages. It’s super easy to make, tastes fantastic and is easily made ahead!
Making peaches and cream can be as simple as pouring cream over sliced peaches. However, when peaches are lightly sweetened and enhanced with a hint of cinnamon, this simple summer dessert is elevated to an incredibly delicious treat.
Peach season is always a great time to celebrate this beloved summer stone fruit. And what better way than by simply enjoying the already delicious peach in an exceptional dessert.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the homey yet complex flavors, the ease of making peaches and cream and all the enthusiastic compliments!
Ingredients to make our Peaches and Cream recipe:
- sliced peaches – 4 large or about 1 1/2 pounds. Fresh peaches are our favorite for this recipe however, canned peaches packed in juice are good too. If using frozen peaches, thaw first!
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- unsalted butter
- lemon juice – to add a little zing and help keep the peaches from turning brown
- vanilla or almond extract
- cold heavy whipping cream
How to make Peaches and Cream
First prepare the peaches:
Peel and slice the peaches into thick wedges and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle sugar over the peaches and toss to coat.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to macerate the peaches.
Drain the peach juice into a medium saucepan. Set the peaches aside for now. Add water cornstarch, cinnamon and salt to the juice.
Cook while whisking constantly until the syrup boils. Simmer for a few minutes or until thickened.
Remove from the heat and add butter, lemon juice and vanilla. Gently fold in the peaches and any accumulated juice. Set aside to cool slightly.
To prepare the heavy cream:
I like to lightly whisk the cold cream just until it starts to thicken a little bit. This is not required but a little extra body in the cream is not a bad thing.
To assemble the Peaches and Cream:
Spoon half the peaches into 4 individual serving glasses or bowl. Pour half the cream over the peaches then repeat with the remaining peaches and the last of the cream.
Sprinkle a little ground cinnamon on top and serve immediately or refrigerate until needed!
Can Peaches and Cream be made ahead?
There are several options for making Peaches and Cream ahead.
First make the peaches and syrup then refrigerate well sealed in an airtight container until needed. This step can be done 24 hours in advance.
Simply layer the peaches and cream before serving.
Another option is to layer the peaches and cream in bowls or glasses the morning you plan to serve, cover and refrigerate until needed.
The peach syrup and the cream meld into an incredible spoonful of deliciousness!
And finally, slice and macerate the peaches before your meal starts. When ready to serve, make the quick peach syrup, layer into glasses with the cream and enjoy slightly warm.
Wow! This is my favorite way to enjoy Peaches and Cream!
Can you use canned or frozen peaches?
You can use fresh, canned or frozen peaches for this recipe. Fresh peaches are preferred but all work well.
If using fresh peaches simply follow the directions. Store-bought or home canned also work but be sure to use peaches in juice, not syrup.
Frozen peaches should be thawed in a strainer then placed in a bowl. Add the sugar and continue with the directions as written.
Whatever kind of peach you use, be sure to taste them first. If the peaches aren’t very sweet increase the sugar to 1/3 cup. As the cream isn’t sweetened at all, you may need the extra sugar for not-too-sweet fruits.
Peach desserts the whole family will love
We go nuts during peach season and always end up buying more than we need. When I have a mountain of peaches to use, old-fashioned Peach Pie is one of my favorite recipes to make and share.
For fun we make homemade Peach Hand Pies which are great for gatherings and gifting!
Our Peach Crisp is one of the best peach desserts we’ve ever made. Promise!
Fresh Peach Crumb Bars are one of our most popular recipes, ever. They’re great to serve to a crowd and travel well too.
This Peaches and Cream Cake is another fantastic, moist and delicious dessert we all love.
Enjoy summer peach season with something delicious from our recipe archives!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! When you try our recipe please leave a comment on this post. If you loved this recipe we’d appreciate a 5-star rating! Sharing your experience, variations and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too.
Peaches and Cream
- 3 cups peeled sliced peaches (4 large peaches or 1½ pounds)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50g) or up to ⅓ cup as desired
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- pinch of ground cinnamon plus extra for garnish
- pinch of salt
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- juice of ½ lemon
- a few drops vanilla or almond extract
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- Peel and slice the peaches into thick wedges. Place in a medium mixing bowl and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Toss gently and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour stirring once or twice.
- Drain the peach juice into a medium saucepan. Set the peaches aside. Add 1/4 cup water, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt to the juice. Cook over medium heat whisking constantly until the syrup boils. Simmer for 2 or 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter, lemon juice and vanilla. Gently fold in the peaches and any accumulated juice.
- Lightly whisk the whipping cream just until slightly thickened.
- Spoon half the peaches into 4 individual serving glasses or bowls. Pour half the cream over the peaches then repeat with the remaining peaches and then the last of the cream.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon on top and drizzle with any remaining peach juice.
- Refrigerate until needed or serve immediately.